AnsweredAssumed Answered

Microsoft Office slow to open when ArcMap is Open

Question asked by buehlerd on Aug 17, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 by buehlerd

We have recently deployed Windows 10 computers to some of our staff (three to be exact).  We have had some issues with performance we cannot pin down.  After white listing ArcGIS in Kaspersky Anti-Virus, and ruling out concurrent vs. stand-alone licensing, two of the computers do not have any real issues.  However, there is still one problem child left.

The user is experiencing a huge lag (sometimes in upwards of 45 seconds) when they click on any Microsoft Office document. Word and Excel are the most common documents that are used.  ArcGIS 10.3.1 is open prior to opening the documents.  If the user right clicks on the pinned program and selects Microsoft Excel or Word it works fine.  They try to open up a "Recent" file it takes 30-45 seconds with no indication that you clicked the document.  The user thinks it didn't go and clicks the document again opening up multiple copies of the same thing. Close down ArcGIS Desktop and boom back up to speed.

I have done everything on this list https://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2012/06/07/troubleshooting-slow-performance-in-arcgis-desktop/  which is pretty standard trouble shooting stuff.  Like I said white listed in the Anti-Virus, and ruled out licensing issues.  We have also had the user log in in a different machine, and other users log in on that machine with no problems either way.  Which pretty much confirmed our thoughts that is profile based. I also ran a repair for ArcGIS on that machine. Nothing changed.  We have local profiles (not roaming), if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts on where to go next, with out totally recreating the profile?

Outcomes