Why does my embedded Web App function on Google Chrome but not Safari and Firefox?

Jump to solution
08-17-2017 02:34 PM
KatieHeineman
New Contributor II

Hello!

I am having problems with ArcGIS Online web app that I embedded on a password protected web page built in Weebly. This app has a group filtering widget and several types of layers in including a point layer with about 2000 seed collections and polygon layer with about 1000 plant occurrences. This app functions as expected when viewed on google chrome (Version 60.0.3112.90)  However, when using Safari  (Version 10.1.2 ) the base map appears with no layers or widgets, and when using Firefox (Version 54.0.1) the basemap appears for a few seconds then disappears. I tested deploying the app on a non-password protected page, and had the same issue. Has anyone else experienced differences in app deployment between browsers? 

Thanks,

Katie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatieHeineman
New Contributor II

Hi Everyone, 

I found out what my the issue was for me (which is likely not the problem for everyone) -- I hadn't made all of the layers of my web map public. This created a confusing situation for me because I could see the web app on Google Chrome because I had logged into ArcGIS Online on that browser. Even if I wasn't logged in Google Chrome at the moment, Google Chrome remembered my cookies, thus making it appear to be a browser issue when it was really a permissions issue. Once I made all the layers public, I was able to view the map from any browser. 

Hope this helps someone else.

Katie

View solution in original post

12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Katie,

Have you checked your browser web console to see if there are any errors and if those errors provide an insight on the issue?

KatieHeineman
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the suggestion! I am very new to web development. When I look at the console it says "Refused to display 'MYURL' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'deny'." I am not yet sure how to fix the X-Frame-Options, but hopefully I can find those settings on the Weebly.

Thanks again,

Katie

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Katie,

Here is link concerning that:

X-Frame-Options - HTTP | MDN 

mfcallahan
Occasional Contributor II

I'm also having this issue.  All of the sudden today Chrome and Firefox and IE will not display my embedded web app on a web page, giving me the "Refused to display 'https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html?returnUrl=http%3A//www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html%3Fapp......' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'deny'."

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Matthew,

Have you looked at the link I provided?

0 Kudos
mfcallahan

I did.  Maybe I'm misinterpreting things, but isn't the X-Frame-Options header something that is set on Esri's side?  I'm not hosting the web map, Esri is - I'm just using the html that is generated when I click "share" on my web map.  I don't see any mention of X-Frame-Options headers in this help page:

Embed maps, apps, and groups—ArcGIS Online Help

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Matthew,

A web map is not the same as a web app. The app is what controls the X-Frame-Options. So are you saying that the web app is hosted by esri?

0 Kudos
mfcallahan

I'm currently attempting to embed a web app into my page.  The web app is hosted in ArcGIS Online (not my organization's portal).

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

In that case you would be correct then. That would be something esri would have control over. You should call esri tech support and see if they can help with this issue.

0 Kudos