Issues creating local copy of feature service for editing

08-14-2017 07:52 PM
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

(x/post from ArcGIS Online - posting here for visibility)

Hi

I'm having issues creating a local copy of a feature service for editing (service in ArcGIS Online, using ArcMap 10.3.1 on desktop).

I can add the feature service to my ToC, but when I right-click to create a local copy, I receive the following error message:

# I've inspected all of the field names of the service in question and all seem to be legitimate (all start with alpha characters, no special characters in strings etc). Field names are:

objectid
globalid
GUID_
DEVICE_ID
SURVEY_COMMENCED
SURVEY_COMPLETED
JOB_NAME
DATE_INITIATED
FACILITATED_BY
WORKGROUP
Q1_COMPLETED_JSP
Q2_CONTROLS_IMPLEMENTED
Q3_WORKERS_BRIEFED
Q4_BRIEFING_DETAILS
Q5_ADDITIONAL_HAZARDS
Q6_ADDITIONAL_HAZARDS_NOT_ON_LIST
Q7_ADDITIONAL_CONTROL_MEASURES
Q8_PART2_SUPERVISOR
Q9_PART2_BRIEFING_DATETIME
CHECK_JOB_COMPLETED
Q10_INCIDENT_NEARMISS
Q11_CONTROLS_INEFFECTIVE
Q12_CONVERT_SWMS
Q13_OTHER_ISSUES
Q14_PART3_SUPERVISOR
Q15_PART3_REVIEW_DATETIME
CreationDate
Creator
EditDate
Editor

Shape

# The source of the feature service is Survey 123 (via XForms), which loads the question text as an alias against each field. These questions do contain special characters.

# I am loath to have to recreate my survey with different or shorter questions (as I am trying to replicate an existing business process), but if this is the fix, then so be it.

Has anyone come across this issue with creating local copies for editing? Have you found a fix or workaround?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anthony,

Based on the field list supplied above, I was able to successfully enable for local copying, even with special characters in the alias, using ArcMap 10.5.  I would also suggest trying ArcGIS Pro, which can let you edit the feature service without needing to create a local copy.

0 Kudos
AnthonyCheesman1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks James. I just replied in another thread as well, but I managed to get it working last night by recreating the xform and feature service with shorter, less complex labels and also no special characters.

0 Kudos