Job Status Failed During Overwrite

Jump to solution
08-11-2017 06:31 AM
PatrickFilyer
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to systematically overwrite a large point Feature Layer on ArcGIS online using the ArcGIS API for Python. I am closely following the example here:overwriting_feature_layers | ArcGIS for Developers  and referring to this: FeatureLayerCollectionManager - Overwrite to guide me through the process. However, I keep getting the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\GIS\AVGOPS\Scripts\extractVehicles_1Week_AGOL.py", line 51, in <module>
speeds.manager.overwrite(outputFile)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\managers.py", line 748, in overwrite
published_item = related_data_item.publish(publish_parameters, overwrite=True)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py", line 4278, in publish
serviceitem_id = self._check_publish_status(ret, folder)
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py", line 4390, in _check_publish_status
raise Exception("Job failed.")
Exception: Job failed.

I am not sure what is happening here. I made sure that the schema, filename and file type are the same as the original upload. The file is large ( about 70000 point features). Could it be timing out?

Any advice would help. 

Thanks, 

Pat

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobbieBagby
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue. Overwrite works when editing is turned off in the hosted feature layer settings. When editing is turned on, the job fails. I can manually overwrite the feature layer in AGOL by going to the item's overview page and clicking "Update Data" ==> "Overwrite Entire Layer" but running the overwrite through the ArcGIS Python API doesn't seem to work when editing is turned on. As soon as I uncheck editing in the feature layer settings, the code works again. Not sure what is happening here. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobbieBagby
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue. Overwrite works when editing is turned off in the hosted feature layer settings. When editing is turned on, the job fails. I can manually overwrite the feature layer in AGOL by going to the item's overview page and clicking "Update Data" ==> "Overwrite Entire Layer" but running the overwrite through the ArcGIS Python API doesn't seem to work when editing is turned on. As soon as I uncheck editing in the feature layer settings, the code works again. Not sure what is happening here. 

AnthonyAtkins2
New Contributor III

I just noticed you posted this solution 4 years ago and it's still an issue. Just wanted to say thanks for your post as it probably saved me hours of a headache looking for a solution as to why I can't update.

StanislausCounty
New Contributor III

Also, if Sync is enabled this will also throw this error.

0 Kudos