SDE Licensing Question

Jump to solution
08-08-2017 10:18 AM
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am seeing very little documentation on ArcGIS Enterprise/Server licensing online. We have even gone to our rep and not received any documentation explaining it.  Can someone answer me this..

Question:

If I have a 4 core ArcGIS Enterprise license, does my SDE database have to be on the same machine as my ArcGIS Server or can they be on separate machines with 4 cores each?

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

They can be on separate machines.

It is not necessary to have the same server\machine for ArcGIS Server and Databases.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

They can be on separate machines.

It is not necessary to have the same server\machine for ArcGIS Server and Databases.

Drew
by

Thanks Asrujit,
Are you aware of any document that explains this?

Drew

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not sure about any official document explaining this in detail. These questions should be directed to Customer Service or your local marketing rep, as they are the best people to guide you on this.

Here are some other similar discussions:

Do we need ArcGIS Server license when establishing Geodatabase in PostgreSQL? 

ArcSDE License 

ArcGIS Server License for deployment 

GIS Product Architecture - GIS Wiki | The GIS Encyclopedia 

Drew
by

Thanks for the links Asrujit.

I went through most of the content and one post in particular differs from your answer. It is 6 years old though.

https://community.esri.com/thread/37163#comment-218032 

"However, you must run ArcSDE on the same host as ArcGIS
Server.  If you want to run ArcSDE on a different host, you must purchase an ArcGIS Server
license for that host as well."
https://community.esri.com/thread/37163#comment-218032 

I will go back to our rep and see if we can get a defined answer on this.

Thanks for the quick response,

Andrew

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

That had to do with an ArcSDE Application Server (which don't exist any more, so the point is moot).

Database location has been flexible since the introduction of Direct Connect 10.0/10.1.

- V

Drew
by

Thanks Vince, I do see that now.

I am in communication right now with Customer service to verify in writing.

Thanks all for your assistance, 

Andrew

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Not that this specifically says it, but (for MS SQL)..

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

If your database is not installed on the same server as an ArcGIS product, see the Microsoft documentation for operating system requirements for your SQL Server version

We've always had dedicated SQL Server machines.  You can have multiple databases setup, but each will need to be authorized with the same authorization code as ArcGIS Server. 

Drew
by

Customer service got back to me and along with having them installed on separate machines it looks like the database server can have unlimited number of cores (or as licensed by the DBMS).

Thanks all!

Andrew