Check-in old data without original geodatabase

08-08-2017 03:41 PM
DavidCurtis
New Contributor II

The geodatabase that ArcPad was referencing during check-ins/check-outs has become unrecoverable. Is there a way to import the data that are still on the GPS unit? Performing the regular check-in results in only the most recent data being imported while their remains much, much more data still on the unit.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

If you create a brand new geodatabase that is similar in nature to the original one, you can reconnect your AXF to the new geodatabase. How To: Alter the source database of a checked-in AXF file 

DavidCurtis
New Contributor II

I was able to follow those instructions successfully, but the data that are on the field unit were still not checked in.

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

First, I wanted to confirm that a crucial part of those steps is that with the new GeoDatabase, you create a matching, but blank AXF. That has the new AXF_TRANSACTION_LOG that you want. That's crucial. That's the correct AXF_TRANSACTION_LOG that you want to paste into your AXF to make those steps work.

If you did all that meticulously and it's still not working, then we can try switching tracks and go for the ArcGIS Data Interoperability for Desktop extension to bringing your data in.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcpad/10.2/app/index.html#//00s10000013p000000

Stephen

0 Kudos
DavidCurtis
New Contributor II

Hi, Stephen--

I'm pretty sure I followed the steps exactly. I had created a new geodatabase in the same location and with the same name and attributes as the original but emptied it of any data. I even changed the checkout timestamp in the XML back to the beginning of the data collection period in order to try to capture the very first day, and this does reflect in the Get Data From ArcPad processing window, but it still shows no "new" or modified features. 

Unfortunately, I don't have the Data Interoperability extensions and am not sure how I could get them, so I'm not sure if this is going to work.

0 Kudos
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

I understand the ArcPad AXF support is built into the Data Interoperability extension that's included in ArcGIS Desktop. You only have to enable it. It shouldn't require any additional licensing.

With the Get Data From ArcPad processing window, sounds like some troubleshooting is required. I would open ArcPad Studio and review the AXF_STATUS column of the data you're checking in (right click > Show Data) and compare it with the well known Status codes documented in ArcPad Developer Help - Concepts. If it's data to be checked in value sholud be AXF_STATUS_CREATED or 1. If it isn't you will need to enter the SQL command

UPDATE tableName
SET    AXF_STATUS = 1, AXF_TIMESTAMP = getdate()
WHERE  AXF_STATUS <> 1

The WHERE clause is actually optional, you can leave that out, but, I left it in there so that you can see the recommend pattern and replace that condition with whatever you want so that only records you want checked in will be checked in. Otherwise, leave the WHERE clause off and it will mark every record as "New" and ArcPad Data Manager will attempt to check them all in.

Stephen

0 Kudos