How to remove labels / details from basemap

08-09-2017 02:34 AM
SimonProud
New Contributor

Hello, I'm using the latest SDK to create a simple UWP app in Visual Studio C# 2017.

What I would like is for the app to display a very basic map, just land in one colour and sea in another plus country boundaries. This is sort of achieved if I select, for example, CreateLightGrayCanvasVector as my basemap.

But, that still has a lot of things on it that I don't want, such as city and country labels and roads / build up areas.

Is there any way to remove these features using code and to just retain the basic map? I presume that this can be done with MyMap.Map.Basemap.ReferenceLayers but I'm unsure how it works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If I open the basemap in Desktop I notice that the reference texts (most of the texts) are in a separate layer:

I guess you could switch that layer "World Light Gray Reference" off to get less details

With reference:

Without reference:

SimonProud
New Contributor

Thanks. I'm unsure how to disable the layer, though. Is there a guide to how to identify and switch off a layer in the basemap?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, not sue if I can help you with that, but if you are using WPF, maybe this would be a place to start: Basemap.ReferenceLayers Property which is a property of the Basemap Class 

... and this is where the guides are: Developer's guide—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (WPF) | ArcGIS for Developers and this one is specific to using Basemaps: Use ArcGIS basemaps—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET (WPF) | ArcGIS for Developers (although I don't see a part that switched a sublayer off).  

Code samples can be found here: ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET Samples—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET Samples | ArcGIS for Developers