Story Map Series issues on iPad

Jump to solution
08-07-2017 08:21 AM
JimCourson1
New Contributor II

I have built an application using the Story Map Series with nine tabs. It works fine on IE, Chrome and Firefox, but when I try to view it on an iPad (running iOS 10.3.3) the app initially loads, but as soon as a different tab is selected I get the following error "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded". The app reloads at the default tab. After several attempts I get the message "A problem repeatedly occurred on "[url]". I've tried using the tabbed, side accordion, and bulleted layout options, but get the same behavior with each layout. We have other apps built on this template that work fine on this same iPad, but they have fewer maps. Are there known limitations with number of tabs for this template on iOS? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I believe the issue with your story is that each of your web maps uses a vector basemap. There is currently an issue on iOS devices if there are too many vector tile layers. We are looking into how to address this in the future, but we have a few technical challenges to overcome to get there. Here are two things to try to workaround this:

First, if you can do without the overview map the simplest thing would be to try removing it from each section. Having that open is currently doubling the number of vector tile layers in your story.

If removing the overview maps doesn't fix things, this should (and you may want to do this anyway, for reasons mentioned below): try using a single web map for all the sections of your story map (that way the vector basemap will only load once). To do this:

1. Add all your layers to the same web map and turn them all off
  2. Add the web map you created in step one to the main stage of each section of your story
  3. In each section use the "Custom Configuration" option for Content and Location to set the visible layers and map extent for that section. You can see this article for more information.

If you do this second workaround, you may be able to keep the overview maps. Also, the main stage won't need to reload each time you switch tabs, you'll just see the new layers pop-in and the map pan/zoom to the correct extent, which will be a much nicer experience for your readers.

Let me know how these work out for you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi James -- Sorry you are running into an issue with your story. I just tested several Map Series stories in our gallery and they seem to behave fine on an iPad running 10.3.3. Are you able to share a link to your app so we can take a look? What types of content do you have in your tabs?

If you're not able to make your story public then I'll have to ask you to please work with Esri Support to troubleshoot this.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JimCourson1
New Contributor II

Owen,

It isn’t quite ready for public sharing yet, but I made it public for testing. You can view the app at:

http://imb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=5d393d238ec54f2c8939bb864f629b57

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I believe the issue with your story is that each of your web maps uses a vector basemap. There is currently an issue on iOS devices if there are too many vector tile layers. We are looking into how to address this in the future, but we have a few technical challenges to overcome to get there. Here are two things to try to workaround this:

First, if you can do without the overview map the simplest thing would be to try removing it from each section. Having that open is currently doubling the number of vector tile layers in your story.

If removing the overview maps doesn't fix things, this should (and you may want to do this anyway, for reasons mentioned below): try using a single web map for all the sections of your story map (that way the vector basemap will only load once). To do this:

1. Add all your layers to the same web map and turn them all off
  2. Add the web map you created in step one to the main stage of each section of your story
  3. In each section use the "Custom Configuration" option for Content and Location to set the visible layers and map extent for that section. You can see this article for more information.

If you do this second workaround, you may be able to keep the overview maps. Also, the main stage won't need to reload each time you switch tabs, you'll just see the new layers pop-in and the map pan/zoom to the correct extent, which will be a much nicer experience for your readers.

Let me know how these work out for you.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JimCourson1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll try to rework this tonight and let you know if the issue resolves.

0 Kudos
JimCourson1
New Contributor II

Owen,

I still haven’t had time to rebuild all nine sections, but following your suggestions in the steps below seems to have resolved the issue. Thanks!

Jim

DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Owen,

I'm having the same issue with this Story Map. Each basemap is a tile layer (albeit the same one in all but one of the tabs) but there are also another one or two vector tile layers in each map to help the performance of each map in loading large datasets at small scales.

1. How many tile layers is too many for one story map?
  2. I'm assuming this issue has still not been resolved?

I could rebuild using the steps you mention above but because there is so much data with custom configuration it would take me weeks and because there is so many additional vector tiles over and above the basemap I'm not sure the issue would be resolved anyway?

Thanks
Derek

0 Kudos