frasertab

Why is administering Server with Web Adaptor not recommended, but is often the only option?

Discussion created by frasertab on Aug 3, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 by randall_williams-esristaff

I've installed several web adaptors now, and I keep running into this paradox:

1) When you install the web adaptor, the help documentation states "By default, administration of the site through ArcGIS Web Adaptor is disabled. This is the recommended option." I am assuming that's because of some sort of security risk, like the one described here?

2) However, if you want to make your services publishable through the web adaptor, as far as I know the only way to do that is to enable administration of the site through the web adaptor. In fact there's a help document that recommends you disable access through port 6080 and only use the web adaptor URL: Disabling administrative access to ArcGIS Server on port 6080—ArcGIS Server Administration (Windows) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

So my question is, what actually is the best practice for server administration through web adaptor? Does anyone have any insights on this? Does it depend on your server setup? If both methods have security risks, which is the least problematic?

In our case, we have services that need to be kept inside the network, and services that need to be fully accessible for the public.

Outcomes