Legend Sizing Issue

08-03-2017 02:30 PM
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

I've noticed that when you add a text size to legend items in Pro, it will only change to the inputted text size if the legend frame size is sufficient to handle the increase.  In other words, it gives preference to the legend frame size versus inputted text size.  Is there an option I can change this?  I don't see how this is desired behavior.  When you work with maps and are adjusting items such as these, you don't know what the frame size will be.  The workflow for me is to change the legend size to a large extent, enter the text size in order to see what size the legend needs to be, , then resize the frame to fit.  This is completely backward in my opinion.  

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidWatkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Tony,  

This is where legend fitting strategies comes in. By default, when you first insert a legend, we use a fitting strategy to 'adjust columns and font size.'  This attempts to maximize the number of legend items in the space that you define for the legend.  This works better for dynamic maps when the content in the legend is changing and you want to fit your legend into a certain space on your layout.  The fitting strategy to 'adjust frame' sounds like what you are after.  With this option you can set the text for the entire legend, or each part of the legend, to the sizes you want.  The fonts retain their size and the legend will adjust to accommodate them. 

Here is the help topic that includes descriptions of the different fitting strategies.

Work with a legend—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop

I hope this is helpful,

David

0 Kudos