WHat is the best laptop to run ArcGIS Desktop 10.4

07-26-2017 01:18 PM
MeganIsaacs
New Contributor II

Yes I know this is a bit of a big ask but I would like someone to #recommend a few #laptops for me to run ArcGIS Desktop. I also run WindPro which is a windfarm developer software (requires  CPU running at 2 GHz and minimum of 2 GB RAM).  I find my current computer pretty slow now but it is 4 years old.  It is also really heavy.  I am currently using a novatech Inspire with an added graphics card.  My files are are stored on my computer but also uploaded to the clouds.

I would like a laptop which is fairly light weight with minimum screen size of 14-15 inch and that is fast with lots of memory budget £1500-£2000??

Any recommendations?

Thank You

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ClintonDow1
Occasional Contributor II

I believe the latest laptop Esri has been providing for Development/Testing is Precision 7510 Workstation Laptop | Dell United States or very similar. For public presentations its the Precision 17 Inch 7720 Mobile Workstation Laptop | Dell United States  

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Why limit yourself to arcmap 10.4, You should be looking ahead to ArcGIS Pro, where video is very important.

I like the Microsoft Surface Book since there are dual video, a nice keyboard which can be detached for use as a tablet with its own pen.. It comes in a variety of configurations to suit budgets and application needs

0 Kudos
DmitrySemenov
New Contributor

What are the tech characteristics of your Microsoft Surface Book?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you should check recent specs on the Microsoft website, but, since it is my 'portable' computer, I just got the 8 Gb ram with the i5 2.4GHz and 250 Gb drive and 2 video drivers since it can be used as a laptop or a tablet etc.  Excellent value but not cheap.  I will be getting a beefier version this spring, but I haven't had any difficulties running Pro at all

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a Microsoft Surface Book 2 and it runs Desktop, Pro and other intensive programs with ease. It was pricey at $2499 but I like it so much better than my previous laptop (Apple Macbook Pro). Here are some of the key specs of mine:

- 13.5" ( I actually like this better than the 15" screen)

- 16 GB 1866mhz LPDDR3 RAM

- Intel HD Graphics 620 with additional NVIDIA GE Force GTX 1050 GPU w/2GB of GDDR5

- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8650 quad core processor 4.2GHZ

This thing runs ESRI products with ease and is great for use in a field environment as the keyboard detachs.

DmitrySemenov
New Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions. 

Why would you prefer 13.5 over 15? Does not 13.5 have no fan and it can get really hot while running intensive graphics? Moreover, 15 version is the same price just with the less of SSD space. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is a fan of some kind ... I have run mine about 16 hours a day on and off battery for about 2 years now with no overheating or problems.

SSD space shouldn't be an issue if you use it for programs and active data.  Backups and stored data can be stored on an external drive/card.

You aren't going to notice the difference between a 13.5 and a 15 " monitor (compare the pixel resolutions).  If you want a huge monitor, move up to the Studio, but you lose portability.

Remember, if you don't want a detachable screen they also have a pretty good laptop as well.

These aren't replacements for full-fledged desktop... but pretty close

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I travel a lot for work and got tired of trying to whip out a 15 inch beast on a plane or in confined spaces. At first I was really leery of trying to go a smaller screen but in the long run I am glad that I did. I can confirm that there is NO fan so there has to be heat sinks like crazy in their and honestly, I have not noticed a massive heat offload like my old macbook pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the original Book does, it whirrs, and moves air... but rarely, the 13.5" Book 2 doesn't whereas the 15" Book 2 has a fan

0 Kudos