Why might I be losing data when computing Map Algebra using the Raster Calculator?

07-25-2017 03:59 PM
deleted-user-sBBlTZilBs4n
New Contributor II

Greetings,

I am trying to compute Map Algebra using the Raster Calculator in ArcGIS 10.5 to find the mean of a set of raster (.tif) layers. The raster layers have an 8-bit radiometric resolution so I have 256 ‘shades’ of data in each raster layer. However, after the computation, my new composite raster only has 252-254 possible data values. I kept the default parameters in the Environment settings, so I am wondering whether I missed in the Environment, or is this a glitch with ArcMap 10.5?

Thank you,

Brent 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried CellStatistics

and with regards the RasterCalculator issue, do all the rasters have the same spatial reference, cell size and origin?

and, for example,  (256+256+200)/3 = 237 which means that the output could have a value less than 256. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

deleted-user-sBBlTZilBs4n
New Contributor II

Hi Steve,

Yes, all of the rasters have the same spatial reference, 1km cell size, and origin as they were retrieved from the same dataset. Sorry, I should have mentioned that some cells from the input rasters do contain missing data, so might this issue be compounded after the computations?

Cell Statistics was well-suited for this computation, but I am still curious as to why there is data loss with Map Algebra.

Thank you!

Brent

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Brent

Time for some debugging 🙂

Subtract the RasterCalculator output from the CellStats output and find a pixel where they are not zero. Find the value at this location for all your input rasters and calculate the mean. What do you see?

-Steve