Sending Survey Results in Blank Record

07-24-2017 01:21 PM
GaryBowles1
Occasional Contributor III

I was testing a new survey today and the following happened. Survey created using Survey123 Connect v 2.2.14. When I collected data on a Samsung Galaxy 6 phone using v 2.1.6 Survey123 app, all was fine. When I collected data on a Samsung Galaxy S8 using v 2.3.29 Survey123 app, the uploaded data resulted in blank records in my database. The app showed the data as sent but the data was blank (see attached).

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gary,

Can you please share a copy of your survey xlsx form so we can take a more in-depth look at this problem.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Philip,

Attached are copies of 2 of the surveys that had the behavior. Well Safety Form2.xlsx is an update to an existing survey, Monthly_Plunger_Survey.xlsx is a new survey that is being designed.

--gary

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gary,

I don't see the xlsx files uploaded, if you are having trouble attaching to the reply, you can also email them to me directly: philip.wilson at esri.com

Phil.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Philip,

My apologies. Here are the files.

--gary

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gary,

Thanks for uploading the xlsx files. I can see you are using mixed case (lower/upper) for the Name fields. Can you confirm that the feature service this survey points to also has the exact same case for each attribute field?

Since you first created the surveys have you changed the case on the Name fields?

Last question, are you using ArcGIS Online or Portal to host the Feature Service, and was the survey created from an existing custom feature service or a new one created by Connect?

Phil.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Gary,

How were your original surveys created? Are you using ArcGIS Online or Portal? Were the surveys built from Connect and a new feature service created, or were they based on existing feature services in ArcGIS Online or Portal?

Also, do you use all lower case names in the name field, or mixed case, and does your feature service have the same case for all fields? Has the case of the name fields in the xlsx form been changed (upper/lower or mix) and been re-published previously, without the same case changes applied to the attribute name in feature service?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Philip,

All of the surveys were created using Connect with new feature services created. The field names contain both upper and lower case letters and there has been no change in the case structure.

I attempted to upload a survey using an iPhone SE (iOS 10.3.3) that had never had Survey123 on it before and the record that was uploaded was blank. I believe the new app (2.3.29) is the culprit here and not the operating system as I have had blank records uploaded on both Android and iOS devices using the newest Survey123 app.

I have 14 iPads in the field that are set to automatically update apps so that the field guys don't have to worry about having the most up to date software. I am seeing the same blank record issue from these devices and all data upload has been stopped. I have some very unhappy project managers.

Feel free to contact me offline if needed.

thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Philip,

I installed v2.1.6 of Survey123 on the Samsung 8 phone, and was able to successfully upload data.

There is definitely something up with the 2.3.29 being used to upload data via Portal.

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos
GaryBowles1

Philip,

I was able to successfully upload data for the Monthly_Plunger_Survey using the Samsung 8 phone and version 2.3.29 of the app after doing the following:

Republish app with all lowercase field names.

I still cannot get any data uploaded to previously published surveys (all created with Connect, all hosted fs on our Portal) that contain Uppercase and lowercase field names.

Was this the expected outcome with the update?

If so, I did not see any notices stating that we should republish hosted feature services and change all field names to lowercase.

Thanks,

--gary

0 Kudos