Survey123 - Photos - Select from Camera Roll crashes application

Jump to solution
07-24-2017 05:05 PM
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

HI There

After speaking with a colleague - we beleive that this might already be logged as an issue

Essentially if a camera roll on a users iPad/ iPhone device is extremely large. - Survey123 crashes if you have an image option and choose to select external 

However if you take the photo from the application it works.

They mentioned it is also observed on AppStudio applications as well

If there is a Bug number that would be good - or otherwise I can log a case with Esri Technical Support.

You can downlaod this sample survey

http://arcg.is/2gYe9zI

John P

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know I have a BUG Number

BUG-000107571: In Survey123 for ArcGIS field app, adding photos from camera roll lags or fails on iPhone 6.

Whilst it says iPhone6 

We have reproduced this on iphone5s, HTC Android 6.0.1

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

I have logged a case with Esri on this one

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Just to update

I have about 4700 photos on my camera roll

I upload the survey and when I choose external photo - i am finidng that the survey123 applicaiton 'hangs' but if i leave hte application it allows me to move forward.

What i think is happening is that the application is looking through hte directories where the photos are taken.

I also tested this using App Studio Standard 2.0 and i got exactly the same results.

Is this the same expereicne people are finding?

*As a side i removed all images apart from 5 and then chose extenal select and i could access the images almost immeaditely

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hi Everyone

Just to let you know I have a BUG Number

BUG-000107571: In Survey123 for ArcGIS field app, adding photos from camera roll lags or fails on iPhone 6.

Whilst it says iPhone6 

We have reproduced this on iphone5s, HTC Android 6.0.1

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

John,

Do you know if this bug carried over to later iPhone models? I'm having this issue with one of our field worker's iPhones. He told me he has the iPhone 7. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Adam,

In our research, the issue is not dependent on the device type but on the number of photos present on the device - do you know how many photos are present?

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

He says 1648 photos and 307 short videos.

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Is there a certain threshold that can't be exceeded for the photos/videos?

0 Kudos