AnsweredAssumed Answered

Errors when using ArcCatalog 10.5 functions from a context menu but work from ArcToolbox tools

Question asked by patton44 on Jul 13, 2017

We've recently installed ArcGIS 10.5. We have an Oracle database. We've installed the ArcGIS 10.5 Desktop patch to address the insufficient permissions errors with an Oracle geodatabase.

When using the context menus in ArcCatalog to do tasks such as create a new feature class, rename, delete, create a geometric network, etc. errors are returned. The error may say that the user has insufficient permissions to delete even though the user is the owner of the data. An error may say the feature class cannot be created in the feature dataset because the dataset is in use by another application. We'll check to make sure that the dataset is not being used by anyone else. The same functionality that will not work through the context menus will be successful when using the comparable tools in ArcToolbox. For example, I'll try to rename a feature class by right-clicking on the feature class and selecting Rename. The error will be returned that the rename failed because a schema lock cannot be acquired due to an existing lock. There are no locks on the feature class. I'll open ArcToolbox and use the Rename tool to rename the feature class and it works.

Basically, that is the pattern for many of the functions in the context menus. They fail when used from a context menu but work when used from a tool in ArcToolbox. I've tested this from ArcCatalog 10.5 on the server and also from a client machine. Both have the same results. Has anyone had similar problems at 10.5?

Thank you for your input.

Outcomes