How do I sharpen a mosaic dataset?

Jump to solution
07-11-2017 09:22 AM
Labels (1)
CarolCady
New Contributor

I created a raster mosaic dataset of 213 rasters that were originally derived from NLCD data.  When I applied a colormap function to the the mosaic dataset the individual rasters became blurry not like the original rasters.  As if there was another dataset that has high transperancy displayed above it.  I then applied a colormap to RGB function, but the mosaic dataset is still blurry.  If I use the Colormap to RGB button in the Image Analysis Window, the resulting raster is as equally clear as the original rasters that make up the mosaic dataset.  I have tried applying the default Convolution Sharpen function to the mosaic dataset, but there is no improvement in the blurriness. What function(s) do I need to apply to get the mosaic dataset to display similar to the original rasters? After Colormap Function after colormap function was applied After Image Analysis Window Colormap to RGB Functionafter Image Analysis window

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

It appears you want nearest neighbor resampling (lower image) but the default for the MD is bilinear interpolation (upper image).   Try setting Mosaic Dataset properties/defaults/default resampling to Nearest Neighbor 

(this screenshot from ArcMap 10.5 - Please always state which version you are using)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

It appears you want nearest neighbor resampling (lower image) but the default for the MD is bilinear interpolation (upper image).   Try setting Mosaic Dataset properties/defaults/default resampling to Nearest Neighbor 

(this screenshot from ArcMap 10.5 - Please always state which version you are using)

CarolCady
New Contributor

Thank you.  That solved the problem!

0 Kudos