When using the pulldata function in Survey 123, what information needs to be included in the choices sheet of the XLS form?

Jump to solution
07-05-2017 12:06 PM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have watched the youtube video about enabling csv data for use in Survey 123 and have tried setting up my XLS Form the same way but still get the Error 'row 2 : list name not in choices sheet'

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Scott,

In the situation you describe, you would want the first question to be a select_one.  You then would have a list in the choices worksheet to populate the select_one.  I might suggest taking a look at the 'Calculate location from CSV' survey in the Create New Form > Samples group - you can find it by searching for 'pulldata' - that form has exactly the structure you want. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Scott,

It sounds like your first question in the sheet is a select_one or select_multiple question?  Are the valid choices for that question in the 'choices' worksheet in the XLS file?

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I guess that is kinda my question. If I am pulling data from the csv form, what data needs to be in the choices sheet of the XLS Form?

Yes my first question is a select_one question? Do I need to put a list of available answers in the choices sheet?

Thanks

Sorry for the ignorant questions but this is my first time fooling with Survey 123

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Is the first question the one you want to lookup data into?  If so, it should not be a select_one - it should be a text question.  That being said, normally the first question is not the question that uses pulldata() - you normally need to have a question previous to get a value to lookup against for pulldata to work. 

A pattern I commonly use is to have a select_one question with the id values so that when selected, a lookup is guaranteed to suceed.  That requires the id values (and label) to be filled in the choices worksheet (along with a choice name used to reference it).  Take a look at XLSForm essentials—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  for getting start with select_one questions.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I want to lookup attributes from the csv file based off a Unique ID. So I want my first question in the survey to be in the form of a drop down menu with the drop down menu populated with the Unique ID's from the csv document. My first row in the survey sheet reads:

text | identifier  | UniqueID

But this is only giving me a blank text box on the form to enter a value into. How do I populate it with the Unique ID's from the csv document

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Scott,

In the situation you describe, you would want the first question to be a select_one.  You then would have a list in the choices worksheet to populate the select_one.  I might suggest taking a look at the 'Calculate location from CSV' survey in the Create New Form > Samples group - you can find it by searching for 'pulldata' - that form has exactly the structure you want. 

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks James! I got it to work by following that example

0 Kudos