AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcPy "connectionProperties" become "Read Only" in Pro 2.0?!

Question asked by mboeringa2010 on Jul 1, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 7, 2017 by mboeringa2010

I am just in a minor shock here. After upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 2.0, suddenly an ArcMap / Pro compatible ArcPy application I have been working on for a long time stopped working. Upon examination of my code, I came to the conclusion it was related to the 'connectionProperties' property of workspaces. Prior to 2.0, this was read/write in ArcPy. Now, in 2.0, examining the Help and judging the code failure, it seems to have become read only... (Workspace properties—ArcPy Functions | ArcGIS Desktop). This is a breaking API change!

My tool, and probably a lot of scripts by other users, depends on the ability to set the connectionProperties. This is a debilitating limitation introduced in 2.0, that seriously curtails what you can do with ArcPy in Pro 2.0 and above in terms of management of connection properties. Why-oh-why did ESRI change this? If it is because to many people were wrecking their connection properties because they were to inexperienced with ArcPy or un-careful when using this powerful option, then ESRI should educate their users, not remove the option and silently change the API.

Outcomes