Registered Database vs. Registered Managed Database

06-30-2017 11:31 AM
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to learn how to use the GeoEvent Extension for ArcGIS Server (both on version 3.1), and the GeoEvent tutorial keeps referencing a Registered Managed Database. I've read a lot of websites on the subject, but am still confused by the difference between a Registered Database and a Registered Managed Database.

Also, I've got my SDE already in ArcGIS Server as a Registered Database. Can I add it in again as a Registered Managed Server? Do I need to change it to a RMS? If I do so, will it break things that I've already got working in SDE, Server, and our ArcGIS Online Organization?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

April,

Are you using Stream services?

From what I understand by configuring the GeoEvent Server output to broadcast event data via a stream service, you have the option of storing the latest event data in an enterprise relational data store or spatiotemporal big data store, but doing so is not a requirement for data visualization.. However, if you are planning on storing the data from GeoEvent Server it is recommended to have a separate Database altogether which you need to register as your primary database. This is done since the data flow of data is quite high.

Refer: 

Stream services—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.5.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

It mainly depends on what is your requirement.

I hope this help!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

A registered database means that you have data in SQL Server, Oracle, PostGres, etc and that database is registered with your ArcGIS Server.  When you publish from that database, the data stays in the database and is simply referenced in that location:

About registering your data with ArcGIS Server—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

A managed registered database is more relevant for feature services.  The publishing process will use a managed registered database in the following scenarios:

• you're publishing data from a location that isn't an enterprise geodatabase, (file geodatabase, shapefile)
  • You're publishing data from a location that isn't registered as a data store

Copying data to the server automatically when publishing—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

If you're using GeoEvent, you're likely going to want to use the spatiotemporal ArcGIS Data Store.