The Cascade story map doesn't display in Internet Explorer. Any plans on fixing or addressing this?

Jump to solution
06-29-2017 11:09 AM
VanessaBauman
New Contributor

It was working, but now, nothing but orange loading dots. What is the workaround? Are there any plans of fixing Cascades for IE?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlisonSizer
New Contributor III

Ah, OK, I see what's happening. Your IE 11 is set to Compatibility Mode for this app. This mode mimics IE 7, which Story Maps doesn't support. 

You should be seeing a "Sorry! This story is not supported in Internet Explorer before version 11" warning message, but it looks like the way we chose to display that doesn't work in Compatibility Mode. We will fix that warning display on our end, but in the meantime, could you turn off Compatibility Mode? I think it's under Tools > Compatibility View settings.

I'm honestly surprised this was working until recently, as the code for this hasn't changed in about a year. Maybe your IE's settings have changed recently? Or you were using a different computer with different Compatibility View settings?

Alison

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

We have tested quite a few different cascade stories and they all appear to work correctly on Internet Explorer and Edge. Can you provide some more detail so we can investigate:

• Do you have a public link you can share to the story that is not working?
  • What version of IE are you on?
  • What OS are you using?
  • Are you using the builder or the viewer?
  • Did you ever modify the story outside the builder?
0 Kudos
VanessaBauman
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply:

Here is the story map link:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=5e58d0c97f6c4c008706f0eefbe75eb4

IE Version Info:

Using just the view with IE (link on a website). The main page is www.anc15-33.com<http://www.anc15-33.com>. The “More Information” button links to the story map.

No, I’ve always logged on in Chrome and used the builder to update the story map.

Thank you for your help!

Vanessa Bauman, GISP

D 907.644.2007

hdrinc.com/follow-us<http://hdrinc.com/follow-us>

0 Kudos
AlisonSizer
New Contributor III

Hi Vanessa, 

I'm working with Stephen to try and track down this problem. We've gotten this story to successfully load in IE 11 (Windows 10 Enterprise) on our end.

Could you try two more things for me?

First, try doing a hard reload of the page by holding down the Control button on your keyboard while you click the Refresh button on your browser. 

Second, if that doesn't work, try opening IE's Developer Tools by pressing F12 on your keyboard, and then reload the page. Switch to the Console tab in Developer Tools and let me know if there are any errors reported while the page tries to load.

Thanks!

Alison

0 Kudos
VanessaBauman
New Contributor

Thank you for the help!

The hard refresh did not work.

Here is what I see using the Developer’s Tools:

Vanessa Bauman, GISP

D 907.644.2007

0 Kudos
AlisonSizer
New Contributor III

Ah, OK, I see what's happening. Your IE 11 is set to Compatibility Mode for this app. This mode mimics IE 7, which Story Maps doesn't support. 

You should be seeing a "Sorry! This story is not supported in Internet Explorer before version 11" warning message, but it looks like the way we chose to display that doesn't work in Compatibility Mode. We will fix that warning display on our end, but in the meantime, could you turn off Compatibility Mode? I think it's under Tools > Compatibility View settings.

I'm honestly surprised this was working until recently, as the code for this hasn't changed in about a year. Maybe your IE's settings have changed recently? Or you were using a different computer with different Compatibility View settings?

Alison

0 Kudos
VanessaBauman
New Contributor

That worked! Thank you!

Yes, the compatibility mode setting could have been changed on our end. I will let our IT folks know.

Thanks for updating the warning display; that will no doubt help many others in the future.

I appreciate the prompt support!

Vanessa Bauman, GISP

D 907.644.2007

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Alison,

I'm experiencing generally poor results on IE 11 with a Cascade StoryMap.  Is there any way to detect the user's browser and give them a pop-up recommending another browser?

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Yes- you can use javascript to determine the user's browser. This is typically accomplished using the user agent strings from the browser object but it's not always perfect. ideally, you attempt to test for functionality rather than what the user agent string reports back. For example, ActiveX  components only exist in IE browsers so that's been one way to target IE browsers in the past. As with most things Microsoft, though, things change over time and so what worked for older IE versions may not work today.

Basically, you would have a small JS function that would look for IE and, if you found it, pop up a modal dialog with your message about the preferred browser. Here's one example of the kind of test you could do.

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Your link seems to open for me with IE11 (on Windows 7 64-bit)

0 Kudos