AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS crashes; geoprocessing and online

Question asked by 814189966 on Jun 27, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 3, 2017 by Dan_Patterson

Hello.  I have an evaluation copy of ArcMap 10.5 that I got through my school.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to use geoprocessing or the online features (downloading maps, for example).  When I've tried to use geoprocessing in the past, I'd have the hourglass in the corner for a long time (I once left it overnight for a simple homework assignment) and the geoprocessing would not finish.  Now, just choosing a geoprocessing tool makes it crash.  ("ArcGIS for Desktop has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue.")  I'd also like to see if I can use either of my two external hard drives that are connected to USB3.0 ports.

When I log in as a different Windows user on the same computer, geoprocessing hangs (I get the globe on the bottom), but the process never finishes.  This happens whether the original files are on an external hard drive or the internal hard drive.  ArcGIS seems to work for the other Windows user account as well.

I tried deleting the ArcGIS profile in my main account and have ArcMap make a new profile from scratch; no apparent effect.  I checked my registry for the python key I've seen mentioned elsewhere; no apparent effect.

My instructor doesn't know what to do, and ESRI won't provide tech support to users of evaluation copies.  Could it be my NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 video card?  That's one possiblity my instructor suggested.  (I wanted to double-check before I spend a couple hundred dollars on another video card.)

My computer: Dell Inspiron i3847-10000BK, Windows 10 home 64-bit, Intel Core i5-4460 processor at 3.20GHz, 16GB RAM, 1920x1080 resolution.

Does anybody know what's causing these issues?

Thank you.  Have a good day.

Outcomes