etylerNwwsd

Upgrading to 10.5 from 103.1

Discussion created by etylerNwwsd on Jun 26, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 by rastrauch

So, we are about to upgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.5. But I am a little confused about how to go about it. Currently we have all our databases on sql server 2008 R2. Part of our upgrade is to move our databases to our new sql server 2016. We have about 35 desktop users accessing our data thru ArcReader. and another 30 or so laptops that use ArcReader as well. Our GIS team consists of about 5 full time ArcMap users who have direct contact with the databases. we also have Server running as well. We have several web applications that are being used either by field crews or sit on our website. I have already installed 10.5 license manager on a new server, but have not authorized or deauthorized anything yet.

Why i am confused is because 10.5 doesn't work with server 2008 R2 so i need to get the databases on the new server first before i install 10.5 server or desktop, right?

So would it make sense to detach then Re-Attach our databases to our new server first, before I do anything else? Or can i go ahead and get server upgraded and authorized on our new license manager, then move databases, then work on ArcMap and ArcReader updates? 

I guess I am confused about what is, and what isn't forward/backward compatible with each other and databases. 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  

Outcomes