Export Map Series Pages

06-23-2017 06:42 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III

I'm considering moving some of my map production projects to ArcGIS Pro, but most of them rely on data driven pages and python scripts to automatically iterate over the pages and export out PDFs.

I have looked through the arcpy.mp module and don't see any method, class, or function for accessing map series properties...maybe I'm missing it...?

Without having the ability to script and export a map series, I'm kind of wondering why this is even a part of ArcGIS Pro...?

Is there going to be future development in ArcGIS Pro that will provide the capability of iterating over map series pages and use the already existing exportToPDF, exportToJPEG, exportToPNG, etc...?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
mpboyle

I've seen these pages, however I don't see any documentation or sample python docs for how to use python to iterate over a map series and export the pages within a series.  That's what I'm looking for, whether or not this is possible with ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You would have to navigate the arcpy tree in Pro they have the map class therein which may be a good starting point

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/arcpy/mapping/alphabeticallistofclasses.htm

with the change in terms, I can't provide a direct code equivalent offhand 

0 Kudos
mpboyle

Yea...I've looked through the classes.  I would think it'd be a method within the layouts, but I don't see anything.  Was hoping someone else had already dove into this, and I was missing it somewhere.

0 Kudos
ChristopherKohler1
New Contributor III

Can an ESRI employee please comment.

Correct me if I got this wrong, your expecting ALL users to build "code-work-arounds" for the same problem.

How about this, the ONE source(ESRI) develops the code ITSELF. 

Problem solved. 

To build code work-around

REDUNDANT MATH:

100 USERS X 60 minutes = 6,000 minutes spent

1 Company x 120 minutes(implementation and patch) = 120 minutes

ESRI is in the business of making geospatial products accessible I thought.

Real-world example:

My city is asking for pdf's of all fire zones located within each firestation.

Simplified workflow:

1. Create map series using map series function

2. Export X number of created maps from map series as pdfs(one UI tool)

3. Share with enterprise(in this case my firehouses, all 12 of them)

Why was this functionality excluded?

JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

We have not developed the MapSeries class for arcpy.mp yet.  We have it planned for 2.1 or 2.2 (depending on resources and time).  We also plan on providing the ability to author a map series using arcpy.mp rather than being limited to working with an existing setup.

Jeff Barrette (Esri - arcpy.mp team)

deleted-user-uXtLD1BYscf0
New Contributor III

any update on this? will it be in 2.1?

0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

For 2.1 we added mostly arcpy.mapping (DDP) equivalent capabilities.  Map Series authoring/setup still needs to be done in the UI.

Jeff

deleted-user-uXtLD1BYscf0
New Contributor III

So does this mean in 2.1 you will be use Python to:

- refresh DDP (after changing a definition query on the map series layer with py) and;

- export one specific page (or a range of pages) of the map series

??

(I'm trying to design a workflow and will roll back my script to use to Arcmap unless Pro will do these - thank you!)

0 Kudos