Arc Catalog 10.5 "Error creating this geodatabase. The application is not licensed to perform this operation."

06-21-2017 01:48 AM
SenadaMehmeti
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying the evaluation version of ArcGIS for Desktop 10.5 and I have the advanced license selected. I am using MS SQL Server 2014 Express.

After some crashes I am able to add the server in ArcCatalog Database Servers and also to attach a geodatabase to the database server but when I try to create a new geodatabase on the server I am getting the following error: "Error creating this geodatabase. The application is not licensed to perform this operation."

As I said before I have the advanced evaluation option selected.

Is this happening  because I am using the evaluation version or I am missing something in the configuration or the error is caused by something else and is misleading?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nada

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You need to Enable the Geodatabase storage on the database server: Set up a database server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  in order to create new GDB's on the SQL Express instance.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AngieHopf
New Contributor

Where do I need to enable the server? Is this done in SSMS or in Catalog? We are using Desktop 10.7 and sql express 17. We have received the same error when trying to create a new geodatabase. Thank you in advance. Angie

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Angie Hopf‌ you would enable the geodatabase with the installer from My Esri. This is true even if you have installed SQL Express previously.

--- George T.
0 Kudos