Level 1 Viewer Editing

06-21-2017 02:09 PM
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

We are looking to implement Portal and use Web Appbuilder for ArcGIS to allow users to make edits to our ArcGIS Server Map Services.

It is not clear to me when I read what a Level 1 Viewer (Only Role allowed) can do.     If we create an WebMap with Map Services from our ArcGIS Server Map Services with Feature Access enabled, it seems like a Level 1 Viewer should be able to edit because ArcGIS Server is handling the edits and we are not hosting layers in Portal.

Is this wishful thinking?

It sounds like we will get 30 Level 1 Named Users in addition to our allocated Level 2 Users, but I am having a hard time understanding what we can do with the Level 1 Users.

Definitely something I will look into at the UC,  but if others have some insights prior to San Diego,  please let me know.

Thanks,

Mele

6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Level 1 membership is for members who only need privileges to view content, such as maps and apps, that has been shared with them through the organization, as well as join groups within the organization.

See Your Guide to Named User Levels | ArcGIS Blog 

What Can This New Level 1 Named Users Do?

• View private content shared within your organization
  • Participate in private groups (invitation only)
  • Access subscription and premium ArcGIS content that is shared as part of a map, scene, or app
  • Use configured apps (read only)
  • Access basemaps, search for content, and use geosearch

What Can This New Level 1 Named Users Not Do?

• Create any kind of content
  • Edit or make new map
  • Share content to their organization or the public
  • Create groups
  • Manage other users, groups, or content
  • Perform analysis

Think Location
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III

I had found this information, but wasn't quite sure how it applied to the scenario I presented.     It states that Level 1 Named Users Can Not 

• Edit or make new map 

Does this mean edit the WebMap or edit features in the WebMap?

It seems to me that  if all of the features we would be editing are coming from ArcGIS Server Map Services with Feature Access enabled then we are using the Services capabilities to edit.

Maybe I am hoping for too much.

The Level 1 users don't really buy us much in terms of capabilities.

Mele

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They should not be able to do any kind of editing (even Feature Services with Editing capability).

The Level 1 users don't really buy us much in terms of capabilities.

I understand your point. Level 1 users are useful when an organization wants to share maps with selected users in view-only mode (e.g. contractors, members of any other organization, etc. who are not authorized to do any editing).

For everything else, you will need Level 2 Named Users.

Think Location
Christopher28
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mele,

did u ever geht further information about this? I discovered the same affect in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6:

I set up a WebMap that includes Layer from a feature service provided bei ArcGIS Server. A level 2 user can edit the features - works like expected. But a level 1 user can also modify objects from the feature service!

I do not understand why...

0 Kudos
CaioFelipe_Siqueira_Laranjeira
New Contributor II

Hi Christopher,

Did you found the reason of level 1 user can modify objects from the feature service?

I am asking this because i found i similar behavior in a environment that i am working, but it is stranger because sometimes this problem happens, sometimes not.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Christopher28
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

what I've found is that the information in the popup should be handled with caution. Changes from a level 1 user are apparently adopted and can be recalled but only until the complete map image is rebuilt. After a zoom in and zoom out the popup shows the original values again.

Very strange implementation....

🙂

0 Kudos