Survey123 Share Settings

06-19-2017 07:43 PM
MichaelBrown7
New Contributor

Greetings Everybody!

Apologies if this is a easy/stupid quesiton... I'm not super familiar with AGOL. I have a question(s) regarding the Survey123 App and privacy settings. I would like anybody to be able to submit the form so that the survey is answered, but I don't want everyone to see the answers.

So I initially thought I could set the form to "Everyone" and the featured layer survey to "Not Shared," but it doesn't seem to work. One can still access the survey, if already downloaded, however, they are then not able to submit it if the feature layer isn't set to "Everyone" as well. But if I set the feature layer to "Everyone," then it appears that anybody can see the data. 

See my problem?

Is their a solution? 

Thanks!   

-Michael 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Michael,

> I would like anybody to be able to submit the form so that the survey is answered, but I don't want everyone to see the answers.

Yes, the workflow you want is fully supported. I recommend that you configure your sharing settings not through the Item Details pages in ArcGIS Online, but through the Survey123 website.

Sign into the Survey123 website with your ArcGIS Online organization account, and you will see all of your surveys listed. Select the survey you want to work with, then navigate to the Collaborate tab.

Survey123 website - Collaborate page

On this page, when you select the Submit tab on the left - this determines who can access, view, and submit responses to your survey.

When you click the Analyze tab on the left, this determines who can view the survey results on both the Analyze and Data pages (both in the upper right corner).

Hope this helps,

MichaelBrown7
New Contributor

Interesting... I don't have an "Everyone (Public)" option, even though the content is set to everyone on the item details page. Do you think this is a setting set by the organization administrator(s)? 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Michael, 

The option to allow users to share items publicly is an administrative setting.  It can be globally disabled/enabled via the organization settings - Configure security settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS .  This capability can also be designated as part of a user's particular 'role' (sets of capabilities).  If you refer to the table of default capabilities at Levels, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS , you'll see that when sharing is turned off at the organization level, an administrator can still share content to everyone (whether the administrator owns the content or another user).  A custom role (say 'Public Survey Author') could be created using the Publisher role as a base and then adding that one privilege. 

MichaelBrown7
New Contributor

Hey James!

We are indeed able to get share the forms to the public by enabling the share to "Everyone" setting through "My Content." However, when I do that, they can also see the data too... and I don't want that.

The problem: I cannot access these share settings via Survey123 and the Collaborate section. For both the "submit" and "analyze" sections, I can only choose "Members of my organization," regardless of what the files in "my content" are set to. 

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown7
New Contributor

Alrighty, I was made an admin of my organization. Upon looking, you're right, we have "Members can share content publicly" unchecked in the organizational settings. Do you believe there could be a workaround to this that will still allow my desired workflow?

I find it rather odd I can still set my content to "share with everyone" and the public can then view, add, and edit my data... even with the organizational setting unchecked. I just want them to add data, nothing else! 

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Michael,

You're right, it is a bit odd.  We may not be checking the individual's privileges if it's in the latter case I described (someone who has been given that permission)- I'll bring this back to development team.

MichaelBrown7
New Contributor

Thanks James! Keep me updated please. It would be very beneficial to our (NWS/NOAA) damage assessment and response operations if we can establish this type of workflow. 

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown7
New Contributor

Hey James! Have you or your team been able to look into this at all? Thanks!  

0 Kudos