ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud: Adding Content

Jump to solution
06-16-2017 12:57 AM
RichardHastik
New Contributor II

After some problems with uploading shapefiles using different projections than web mercator I have additional questions due to problems of adding content:

First Problem: Adding Data from my Organisation

I uploaded some WebMaps on ArcGIS online. However, i am not able to find these Maps via "Add Web Maps" and "Browse from ArcGIS location". There, I can only find one map although I pubished more than 10 maps within my Organisation and public to everyone.

Besides, the drop-down Menu "Browse from ArcGIS location" does not work correctly, i can only change the menu items using the scroll whell on my mouse.

Update: It seems that Data which is shared within my Organisation AND with everyone gets kicked out from "My Organisation" in ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud. As soon as you set Layers public, one has to add them via "ArcGIS online". 

Second Problem: No Support for larger Shapefiles?

I cannot add any shapefiles which slightly bigger (aprox. 1MB), the content gets immidiately lost.

Update: I finally managed to read a small red text which is displayed less than a second (you need close the "add content" window quickly to even see this text). It says that no more than 1000 records are allowed? Is this true, can I only create maps with less than 1000 points/polylines/polygones? 

Third Problem: Adding Data after closing Illustrator

The ArcGIS Mapboard and ArcGIS Compilation get lost after closing Illustrator (but not after closing and reopening a file without closing illustrator). I tried saving in .ai or .pdf (both CC Version). So currently I cannot add features / update the map after closing Illustrator (or re-booting my computer). Is there a way to save the Mapboard and Compilation Settings?

Thanks for your help and all the best,
Richard

Update: Sorry for distributing these problems in 2 seperate threads. I will post all further upcoming issues here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XingdongZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Richard, in current release of the extension, Mapboard and Map Compilation are not persisted across Illustrator/Photoshop sessions. So once the host application close, those information are gone. We are looking into the ways to persist such information. Expected it in the future releases.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
NancyMorales1
Occasional Contributor

Hello!

Sorry you're having multiple issues with the extension. Let me answer some of your concerns.

First problem: Adding data from my organization 

When you added the data in your organization, are all the maps that you want to open in a group with the proper tagging?

Besides, the drop-down Menu "Browse from ArcGIS location" does not work correctly, i can only change the menu items using the scroll whell on my mouse.

This has happened to me before, can you try to closing the window and opening it again? This just maybe a drawing error on the extension.

Update: It seems that Data which is shared within my Organisation AND with everyone gets kicked out from "My Organisation" in ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud. As soon as you set Layers public, one has to add them via "ArcGIS online". 

This is new, hmm I will let one of my colleagues answer this and I'll troubleshoot on my end.

Second problem: No support for larger shapefiles

Its true, you can only add data from shapefiles up to 1000 records. Anything larger than that, the extension will fail. This is something that we can't fix for this release but maybe something we can try to work on for the future releases. 

StevenMoore1
Esri Contributor

Hi Richard,

The 1000 feature limit is a web map restriction imposed by ArcGIS Online on any CSV or shapefile, it isn't specific to this extension: FAQ: Is there a feature limit in ArcGIS Online?

In order to access web maps in the extension, they need to at least be shared with a group that contains the tag 'M4CC'. The tagging structure is explained here: Configure your ArcGIS Online organization—ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud Help | ArcGIS 

Any layers in your organization that you have access to should appear under 'My Organization' with no tagging necessary. Are you saying that if you share a layer with 'Everyone' and also with a specific group that it doesn't appear in the extension? There is also a 'Limit to mapboard extent' checkbox which will only show you content that is within the extent of the map, it's checked on by default.

Thanks,

Steve

RichardHastik
New Contributor II

Hi Steve, hi Nancy

thanks for your support!

Regarding 1000 feature limit:
Ok, thanks, so I have to dissolve my features (line/polygon) to reduce complexity or break up point features into separate files to stay below the number of 1000 features. This works so far!

Regarding visibility in My Organization:
I re-read the documentation, now everything seems clear: Data in My Organization AND a group with the Tag "M4CC" is displayed. Any Data of My Organization without that tag is not displayed. “Public” data is available under “ArcGIS Online” (with or without that tag).

Regarding the drop-down menu:
Open/Closing does not improve the situation. Clicking several times into the dropdown-menu helps (but this is a little bit tricky).

Unfortunately, a new problem occurred after successfully importing my data:

Mapboard and Map Compilation get lost after closing Illustrator

The ArcGIS Mapboard and ArcGIS Compilation get lost after closing Illustrator (but not after closing and reopening a file without closing illustrator). I tried saving in .ai or .pdf (both CC Version). So currently I cannot add features / update the map after closing Illustrator (or re-booting my computer). Is there a way to save the Mapboard and Compilation Settings?

A small wish: It would be great if one could update a feature from Portal (without the need for a re-import and loose the symbology assigned in Illustrator)  

0 Kudos
XingdongZhang
Esri Contributor

Hi Richard, in current release of the extension, Mapboard and Map Compilation are not persisted across Illustrator/Photoshop sessions. So once the host application close, those information are gone. We are looking into the ways to persist such information. Expected it in the future releases.