Insights On-Premise Developer License Requirements

06-15-2017 01:05 PM
DirkVandervoort
Occasional Contributor II

My ArcGIS developer entitlements include ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS. We would like to evaluate Insights for ArcGIS. I've found documentation that says I can import Insights authorization via the Portal administrator. However I cannot find how to get those entitlements from my.esri.com.

I can't seem to find anything that say's "This is how you buy Insights" or "This is how you create a developer's instance of Insights"

I've to 3 L1 and 2 L2 NUs available to me. 

Every time I try to launch Insights in the browser I am informed that I do not have permissions to access Insights - even though I am an administrator. 

When I attempt to share the Insights app with a group, it gives me the impression it was successful sharing the item, yet when I try to share it again, all the share checkboxes have become unchecked.

Re: Insights, it it important that we try before we buy...

Any insight (ark ark) would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Dirk,

I just confirmed with your customer number on the My Esri site. You should be able to obtain Insights authorization (which is a count of named users in a JSON file) and then import into Portal Administrator directory. 

Go to My Esri site and perform these steps: Configure Insights for ArcGIS licenses—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise . 

1. Log in to My Esri and click My Organizations > Licensing > Provisioning.
  2. On the Provisioning dialog box, specify Product Type as Additional Portal Products. The Version, License Type, and Provision options populate automatically.
  3. Click Apply.
  4. Review the product information.
  5. Choose the number of named users you need in the Allocate column. Click Next.
  6. Provide the contact and address information for your organization.
  7. Specify the delivery option for your license file. Optionally add a description or note to your request.
  8. Click Review File and verify the provisioning information.
  9. Click Create File. Depending on the delivery option you specified, the file is available for download immediately or attached to an email for the address specified.

You haven't made any allocations from the pool of available licenses so far. So, you should be good to go!  

Thanks,
Aravind

0 Kudos
DirkVandervoort

Thank you Aravind: I think I’m a little bit closer. I had our license administrator follow the steps below and he sent me an entitlements file. I imported the entitlements. However, Insights is still not appearing in the apps list. I even went so far as to restart the Portal for ArcGIS service, still no joy.

After I import the entitlements, see this:

Current entitlements (feature, count):

• insights, 1

Future entitlements (feature, count):

1.    Start date: Wed May 02 18:00:00 MDT 2018

o   insights, 0

However when I try to launch Insights I am informed that I don’t have permission to access Insights, even though I am using the admin account that imported the entitlements.

I do notice that when I Get Entitlements in the PortalAdmin that I have “Number of pending entitlements: 1”. What does “pending” mean – is this something my local license administrator needs to manage?

TIA

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Dirk,

So, it seems like you've imported the entitlements, but the admin account you're using doesn't have an Insights license allocated to you. 

If these steps haven't been performed already, can you do the following:

Can you login to Portal home -> My Organization -> Manage Licenses.

Choose your Portal Admin user and click Configure on the right.

Then see if you have Insights for ArcGIS license assigned to yourself and then hit Update. 

This is what gives you permission to view Insights. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
DirkVandervoort

That worked! Thanks!

0 Kudos