How to symbolize by domain and date?

06-14-2017 07:52 AM
JamisonPeevyhouse
New Contributor III

I have created a feature service in which to do field checks on address points. I would like to symbolize not only the domain which states the step in the process it is in but also by a date field so that I can see which is older and which is more recent. Both the domain and my 'date' field are actually text data fields. Is there a way that I could have the symbology remain in the domain field color but either get bigger or faded the older the request is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

At present, you would need to create a new, concatenated field and symbolise off that.

If there is a way to do what you ask, I would also be interested!

JamisonPeevyhouse
New Contributor III

I figured that was the case but wanted to check my bases thanks for the comment. Maybe ESRI will enable that feature at some point.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In fact it is already enabled and it is called ArcGIS Arcade | ArcGIS for Developers . You can create dynamic symbology based on one or more fields, no need to change the schema. You can find a simple example here: https://community.esri.com/thread/195600-symbolise-points-by-date-not-date-and-time 

GISSupport3

We are unable to publish a feature service symbolised with Categories, Unique values, many fields.

We can now by pass this with Arcade?

For example, we have a damage assessment layer. One field is building type, another field is damage level.

We currently have another concatenated field to symbolise as we would like in Collector, based on the combinations of building type and damage level.

We could now symbolise off the two fields using Arcade?

Thanks

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

With Arcade you can create a "virtual" field based on an expression which concatenates the values from the two fields. Bear in mind that the results will be based on the values present at that time in your data. So if you have no combination in your data for a residential building and a high damage, this entry will not appear in your list of element that you can symbolize on. This might be easier to resolve using ArcGIS Pro before publishing the data. 

To give an example (not very relevante, but it was the best I got) see the expression below:

It concatenates the type (TIPO) and rounded height values of trees:

return $feature.TIPO + ' - ' + Text(Round($feature.Altura_m, '0.0')) + 'm ';

In this case the only results created are:

If a user would edit the height of a certain tree (say 2 meters) this would create a new entry in the legend and this combination would be painted as "Otro" (Other).

GISSupport3

Maybe not exactly what we are after and will definitely investigate some more.

We would have set options the user could enter that we would want to show all symbols for.

Could be other uses for us though.

Thanks!