TIN to raster, linear or natural neighbours method

06-13-2017 02:03 PM
Labels (2)
MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

I have a TIN that I believe was created from contours (which i don't have), and i need to create a DEM so i can then run a slope analisis.  But i'm not quite sure wich of the interpolation methods available should i use... any tips?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It might be interesting to read the following two documents that compare interpolation methods:

To bad that you don't have access to the source data, since a TIN would not be the best option to create a surface from contour lines. There is a tool that does this better: Topo to Raster—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Another thing that might be interesting is to know that each triangle in the TIN already holds information on slope and aspect. You can also use the TIN Triangle—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  to generate a featureclass that have the slope for each triangle.

In case you cannot decide, do them both (linear and natural neighbors) and compare the differences (Minus—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) and see where the largest differences are and which one to your opinion is closer to the truth. 

MarcelaRondon
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Xander, i'll read, try out and come back with my findings... 

0 Kudos