ArcGIS Online login prompt randomly displaying

06-13-2017 08:24 AM
JeremyRead1
New Contributor III

We have a Web AppBuilder application that consumes services from an internal ArcGIS Server machine (inside our firewall), as well as public services we have published on ArcGIS Online. The web map is also on ArcGIS Online.

All of the ArcGIS Online services are shared with "Everyone".

We have a secure routing service tied to the "Directions" widget that is shared publicly. The shared version of the URL is added to the widget so that it does not require users to login.

This setup has worked perfectly since late March, however in the past couple of weeks we've had an issue where an ArcGIS Online login prompt will show up on screen. The user must enter ArcGIS Online credentials (if they have them), or if not, they must refresh the page and then can continue working. This is extremely annoying for the users (and for us), as it doesn't seem to happen to everyone, and it also is very random. Sometimes it shows up in 30-minutes, other times it seems to take over an hour.

I managed to finally get it to happen on my machine and captured a screenshot from the Developer tools (attached).

Any ideas what may be causing this, and why it is a newer error that is completely random? We have been trying to figure it out with no success.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My guess is something has changed with network updates, browser updates, OS updates or other that is affecting the proxy for the services.  Of course, that doesn't help any.  However, I have links to several other thread in the

/blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/04/04/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-help-and-training-links 

about 1/3 the way down under the Security and Proxies heading.  Might be something in those thread that might help. 

I haven't looks at them all in a while either so don't have anything off the top.

Things to also think about....did your annual maintenance for ArcGIS Server and/or your desktop license just some due?  Since some (lots) of AGOL is tied to the maintenance, if the annual renewal just happened it's possible there was a blip in service.  I know we have two different maintenance periods (months apart) with different desktop counts, and there is always a worry that if payment is delayed for the larger number of seats, strange things might happen if out named user count drops for a short period of time (hasn't happened yet, but almost did this year).

Also, any password changes for the AGOL user, ArcGIS Server admin/user for the proxy, or the service account for the ArcGIS Server?  How do you authorize you users for Server? If something like Active Directory, could the user's password that authorizes the AD users have expired? (we use a server/service? user with a complex, non- (or long) expiring password to prevent this from happening.

It might also be good to know which WAB you are using: AGOL, Portal or develop edition  (what version), and if the dev, are you using the Local Layer widget or have the AGS services registered/linked thru AGOL. 

tagging https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/web-appbuilder?sr=search&searchId=e41f1ead-1fa6-44d...https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=5ad89bab-40e8-4034-...https://community.esri.com/community/gis/enterprise-gis/arcgis-for-server?sr=search&searchId=0ed59c1...KGerrow-esristaff

JeremyRead1
New Contributor III

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you very much for your reply!

We haven't had any licenses come due for renewal, no password change for the AGOL user, ArcGIS Server admin or service accounts. Like you, we have a service user with a static password.

We are using WAB Developer Edition, version 2.1. We have the ArcGIS Server services registered/linked through AGOL.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmmm....

This is kind of an out of the box/unlikely cause, but I wonder if maybe someone updated the "maxTokenExpirationMinutes" parameter associated with your ORG?

You can see the value of this parm by reviewing the back end of your org details, like:

https://<yourorgname>.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/portals/self?culture=en-us&f=pjson&token=<insertt...>

The default value for this token is -1.

At the same time, I don't know that this setting would affect routing per-se. Just thinking out loud/in text.

JeremyRead1
New Contributor III

Hello Randall,

Thank you for your response, and great idea to check the maxTokenExpirationMinutes. I checked for this on our org site using the method you outlined above, and the value is set to -1 as expected.

0 Kudos
DavidRunneals2
Occasional Contributor

We've had this occur several times for public web app builder apps on ArcGIS Online. I think I narrowed it down to an esri bug that pops up when they are having load/scaling issues. It usually seems to last about 5-10 minutes when it does happen and then disappear after that. I suggest you submit a support ticket.

0 Kudos