AnsweredAssumed Answered

drawing a line with a given starting point coordinates, angle and length

Question asked by sviva.gov.il on Jun 9, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 14, 2017 by sviva.gov.il

Hello,

In the last few days I've been working on a Python script that enables me to draw lines in a feature class.

The script gets 3 params - starting point coordinates, angle (degree) and length in km.

After a few hours of investigating for possible implementations, I've decided to drop the mathematical approach and use the pre-made tool called BearingDistanceToLine_management.

My current implementation actually works but the designed is ridiculous! The tool requires two special tables!

I have one table that holds the parameters - I actually do an InsertCursor into a table just for the tool to run!

I have another table, which gets the output when the tool is finished.

When the tool is done, I run a searchCursor on the output table, take the output shape data and adds it into a THIRD and final table where I can add my own other columns.

Can anyone recommends a better solution? I have found many articles with a lot of math lessons but no clear solid answer how to do it. I can't waste my time on learning trigonometry for this and pretty surprised ESRI doesn't have a simple pre-made function for that.

Thanks,

Shay.

Outcomes