Merging and Splitting Polylines

06-08-2017 08:37 AM
MichelConn1
New Contributor II

I have two datasets one a roads dataset and another an urbanized area dataset. I am looking into adding an urban variable to all roads that fall into the urban area. One issue is that some of the lines are both out of an in an urban area. I want to split the roads at that urbanized boundary. What I've done so far is use Intersect (Analysis) to find all roads and road segments that are in the urban areas. But I don't know how to combine that subset with the original while splitting any roads at the urban boundaries. 

I looked into splitting the lines, selecting then deleting but I don't have an advance license. I looked into Erase but once again I don't have an advance license. 

I've seen that I could possible use union then delete the inner value (not sure what that means). But I can't seem to union polylines. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

If you split your roads at boundaries , you can combine them again inside each boundary by create simple model. 

The first tool in the model is iterate feature  and make this tool to iterate urban boundaries feature selection.

Then select by location as the second tool to select  roads within each boundary. Final use unsplit line to merge the selected roads inside each boundary , you can use the code of road or the road name to dissolve by it.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you explain your requirements with a few screenshots of your current data?

Think Location
MichelConn1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions, but after I posted the question  I found a better dataset that solved the issue. 

0 Kudos