Survey123 not opening from link in Word document.

06-05-2017 06:48 AM
NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

I needed to send out a Survey123 link through a word document that people will have access to through Google Docs. Unfortunately, I get the following error (see screenshot) when I try to access the link within a Word document. Several people on my team have tried this, using different survey links and versions of Word (I'm using Microsoft Office 2016). No error occurs when the link is accessed in a PDF document, only a Word document. Is this a known limitation? Participants can of course copy and past the link from the Word document into a browser, but we'll be working with Citizen Scientists and the goal is always to make things as easy as possible for our volunteers, especially when they will be accessing the survey repeatedly. Thank you in advance for your input!

Cheers,

Natalie

5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Natalie,

This is due to the way the Survey123 site is currently architected- technically everything after http://survey123.arcgis.com is generated from the home url (there are no 'real' links after that) and it appears Word is 'previewing' the URL before opening the browser.  That being said, we are planning for a change in how the specifically the share links work- that may address the issue, and we'll test to see if that's the case.

NatalieMarioni1
New Contributor III

James - Thank you for your quick reply! This is helpful!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wondered if there is an update on this or any suggested workaround to use survey links in MS Word or Excel files?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Louise,

We are investigating ways to change the website response to prevent this in the future.

0 Kudos
ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi All,

This issue has been fixed in the 3.9 release.

Thanks for all your feedback!

0 Kudos