Mosaic data set will not draw below 1:2400 for other users?

05-31-2017 06:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just created a mosaic data set. Added tifs and created overviews. I can see the imagery at all resolutions. Other users connecting to the new imagery cannot zoom below 1:240, but I can? What is the problem? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

You will want to load the rasters using a UNC path (i.e. \\serverName\rasters\TIFFs).  When zooming into large scales (i.e. 1:240) the native imagery will be used.  If the rasters are loaded using an absolute path (i.e. C:\rasters\TIFFs), the client machine looks on it's server for these rasters, and they cannot be found.  Using a UNC path will direct the client to the correct directory.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jake,

The location is on a server (
server<file://server>) (R: ) but the pathway is listed on my computer under a folder name. How would the tiffs be loaded with a UNC path with the add raster tool?

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (863) 402-6715 or email at cjennings@hcbcc.org<mailto:cjennings@hcbcc.org>.

Respectfully,

Christopher Jennings

GIS Coordinator

Highlands County

Board of County Commissioners

505 S Commerce Ave.

Sebring, FL 33870

Email: cjennings@hcbcc.org<mailto:cjennings@hcbcc.org>

Lat: 27°29'28.73"N Long: 81°26'11.47"W

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

In the Catalog window within ArcMap, you will want to add the UNC by clicking the 'Connect To Folder' icon.  Then, when you use the 'Add Raster' tool you will have this option to choose from.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jake,

I will have to add data on the server desktop so that the UNC will be embedded and not on my local machine?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

All you will need to do is share the location where the imagery is located (you may have to log on to the server where the imagery resides to share the directory).  The remaining steps can be performed from your client machine: 

1.  Make a connection to this share in the Catalog window using a UNC path.

2.  When adding rasters to the mosaic, make sure you browse to the workspace/rasters through the UNC path. 

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Chris,

I may have been incorrect that the rasters need to be loaded with a UNC path.  First check to make sure the user trying to access the mosaic dataset has read privileges to the imagery.  From the client machine, I think you can right-click on the mosaic dataset > Optimize > Analyze Items.  This should report if the imagery is not accessible.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jake,

Read privileges have been activated. Now access to the folder on the client machines is being implemented. Thanks for your help.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (863) 402-6715 or email at cjennings@hcbcc.org<mailto:cjennings@hcbcc.org>.

Respectfully,

Christopher Jennings

GIS Coordinator

Highlands County

Board of County Commissioners

505 S Commerce Ave.

Sebring, FL 33870

Email: cjennings@hcbcc.org<mailto:cjennings@hcbcc.org>

Lat: 27°29'28.73"N Long: 81°26'11.47"W

0 Kudos