When will WebApp builder move to 4.3 for 2D?

Jump to solution
05-26-2017 05:34 PM
RobertHewlett
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have an idea?

Could a 4.3 2D template be added?

Just asking.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Robert,

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS won't move to the ArcGIS API for JavaScript v4.x API for 2D capabilities until it's functionally equivalent to the v3.x API.

The ArcGIS API for JavaScript v4.x API is planned to be "complete" (e.g., fully support 2D functionality) by the end of 2017/early 2018. Once that happens, Web AppBuilder will probably migrate approx 4-6 months later. Please note these are all rough time estimates and may change.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Robert,

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS won't move to the ArcGIS API for JavaScript v4.x API for 2D capabilities until it's functionally equivalent to the v3.x API.

The ArcGIS API for JavaScript v4.x API is planned to be "complete" (e.g., fully support 2D functionality) by the end of 2017/early 2018. Once that happens, Web AppBuilder will probably migrate approx 4-6 months later. Please note these are all rough time estimates and may change.

Hope this helps,

xavierlhomme
Occasional Contributor

Hi

It should be helpfull to have an ArcGIS API for JavaScript v4.x API functionnality roadmap. Some of those functionnaities due to the end of thhis year, are not relevant for the WAB. According to this roadmap it's probably possible to start a beta version of the WAB with 4;x support for 2D apps, for the end of the year.

It could help also to  start to port/develop custom widget.

best regards.

Xavier Lhomme
GIS Architect / ESIRI Expert
0 Kudos
RobertHewlett
Occasional Contributor

Currently in WAB developer edition there are three tabs: All, 2D and 3D. Could another tab and templates be added for 2D (4.X)? Does that make sense?    

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Robert,

We appreciate your suggestion, however the level of effort to enable this functionality (e.g., enabling support for the JS APIs v3.x and v4.x and associated beta APIs) would detract Dev resources for working on core Web AppBuilder.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Xavier,

Apologies for the late reply, but I was waiting for a blog post to be published before replying back. Please see this blog for a roadmap on the ArcGIS API for JavaScript,

https://community.esri.com/community/developers/web-developers/arcgis-api-for-javascript/blog/2017/0... 

Hope this helps,

SamkitShah1
New Contributor

Thank you Derek.

When WAB starts using 4.x API for 2D, does that mean all the existing widgets will be re-written using 4.x api and typescript ?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Samkit,

> When WAB starts using 4.x API for 2D, does that mean all the existing widgets will be re-written using 4.x api 

Although I can't definitively confirm, this is highly likely.

Hope this helps,

SamkitShah1
New Contributor

Thank you Derek. That is helpful. 

0 Kudos
RobertHewlett
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Derek,

It does help as I need to direct my students towards one version of the API or the other.

If you need alpha/beta testers let me know!

0 Kudos