AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pro crashes - symbol categories on joined table field when data hosted on ArcGIS Online

Question asked by writter on May 25, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 by rleclair-esristaff

Hi, when using Pro v1.4 I'm getting a crash every time I try to symbolise my features in categories based on the value of a field in a joined standalone table - but only when the data is hosted on ArcGIS Online, not locally in a FGDB.  


Do others get the same behaviour in Pro and does anyone know if this a known bug?  I'm struggling find where and how to search know bugs... 


Some more details, and my work around - please let me know if you have a better solution.


I came across this as I want to symbolise my feature points by a priority level which is part of an inspection held in a related table (using Collector to gather the inspections, hence data hosted on AGOL).  I've done some testing, and it doesn't seem to be a problem specific to this data - I get the same crash when testing with newly created, simplified data, and also when the feature class and the standalone table aren't related (but are in the same feature service).  If the feature class is from AGOL but is joined to a local table, then there is no crash, so the problem seems to be with them both being in AGOL. 


The crash happens when trying to select which field to symbolise on - I can see all joined fields in the drop-down, but when I select any field Pro crashes (whether the field is in the feature class or the standalone table). 


I can however do this OK in ArcMap 10.5 (although the joined layer breaks if I close and then reopen the project).


My work around in Pro is to first join my AGOL hosted features to a local copy of the standalone table (I just used object ID for the join, for this temporary step doesn't matter whether the right things match up and the GlobalID to GUID field join I actually use won't work on a copy).  Then using this temporary join I can set up the symbology on the joined field without a crash.  Once that's done, remove the join to the local copy and join instead to the table hosted on AGOL.