How to mange my time in conference ?

05-19-2017 10:33 AM
AhmedAbdelmaged
New Contributor II

Dears
I have a look for agenda but i faced some difficult to manage my time a lot of sessions holding Parallel with each other .
I am very interested with a lot of subject .
Can you advice me ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Many sessions have multiple sessions, the agenda app makes it pretty easy to figure it out. But sometimes there are unavoidable conflicts.

If there is any way you can afford it, [$200-$400 depending on options, better deal on-site at EsriUC] get the Source Of Knowledge recordings for the tech sessions, this allows you to easily catch up if you miss critical ones, and you can share them with colleagues. (Some tech sessions get posted on http://video.esri.com but not all).  This takes the stress off, as the recordings are high quality and you can usually contact the presenters directly if you have specific questions.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Curtis on the recordings being high quality and well worth the cost.  For the Developer Summit this year, they posted all the videos on that sight, (last year they only did 50), so you can check a few of them out right now. Some of the sessions are similar to what will be at the UC, so if you are deciding between two sessions, and find it on the site, you may be able to scratch it of your time conflict list.

The conference center is pretty spread out, I.e. Lots of walking, so besides whe ring good shoes, you may want to make sure you aren't having to go from one end to the other side each time. I have not looked at the Event app yet this year, but each year it has been improving, and there are layouts and maps to the rooms.

What I do is mark all those I am interested in (conflicts included) so if one is overflowing or I can't make it in time, I have a backup plan.  They usually also have a room or too (usually room 20 I think) that may remotely broadcast a selected popular/overflow session.

It is great that you are planning ahead, since it is too overwhelming to do it day-of, but keep in mind that you may change your interests and priorities based on the plenary and/or other sessions.  save some for possible follow up in the showcase (vendor and software "island" area).

One trick I do if I will be there on Friday, I look at the few offerings on that day first, which may free up an earlier slot.  Btw, I know many leave early or skip the closing session, but many times there is interesting news and feedback, with questions asked by users and answered by staff.  I've even seen announcements changed or at least reconsidered based on user feedback/pushback at the closing session.  Just my thumbs-up for the closing session.

I know there are several threads for tips, for othe new and experienced attendees, I would check those out too.  There may be some additional tips.  Main thing, have a plan, but remain flexible.  

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have technical questions, particularly tricky ones, try to go to the Showcase on the first day. Remember that technical support is available there too. Ask your questions, because depending on the staffing, you may get told that the best person to speak to isn't there on Tuesday but will be available on Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning or has a session tomorrow on the subject, etc. Trying to get in touch with the expert may disrupt your planned schedule. You may also end up getting a card or leaving your card with an employee for a follow-up after the conference. That way the employee can discuss the issue with colleagues, work with your data if you can provide it, etc.

Also feel free to bring data or programs with you. 

Note: The product "islands" in the Showcase are busiest during session breaks and lunchtime. If you can, try to stop in during a session when it's not as busy. Thursday morning until closure at 1:30 tends to not be as busy too.