How do I fix ArcGIS Online Attribute Switch

05-17-2017 08:21 AM
NikAnderson2
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Online to show Interactive WebApp for my company. I share a service from a MXD in ArcMap with multiple layers and utilize ArcServer to push it to ArcGIS Online. This works great and I love it, however, when I add a new layer to my MXD and overwrite the existing service, all the attributes get switched with the layers below. For example, lets say my three layers are Parcels, Lots, and Roads in that order from top down. If I were to add Address Points to be the top most layer, the address points attributes would get pushed down to parcels and parcels attributes to lots and so on. So when my coworkers click on a popup for Parcels, they get address attribute information. How can I fix this without having to go into the WebMap and reconfigure all the attributes for every layer each time I add a new layer?? Now if I add the new layer to the bottom, there is no issue, but of course for some layers you need them to stay on top of the others!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Nik,

That is a big headache when this happens. Many times I have just had to completely recreate my feature service due to this. It's a big pain but I am not sure of an easy solution to it.

One thing you could do is utilize ArcGIS Online Assistant:

ArcGIS Online Assistant 

In here, you can mess with some of the underlying json code of the feature services you are manipulating. It may be worth checking out.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi nikanderson‌,

If you change the order of the layers of your service, your web map won't be aware of the changes that were made. The web map refers to each layer by the layer number and if the numbers are modified the web map will show a mix of data. A best practice would be to always add new layers to the bottom of new services. You can re-order the feature layers within the web map if you want it to display in a different order. 

If you must change the order and won't reorder the layers, you will need to manually edit the web map json as MidnightYell2003‌ mentioned.

-Kelly