Desktop's arcpy has class dataDrivenPages, so why doesn't Pro's arcpy have class mapSeries?

05-16-2017 12:36 PM
JohnMcLaughlin4
New Contributor II

ArcGIS for Desktop’s arcpy library’s object has a class called arcpy.mapping.dataDrivenPages, but there does not seem to be an equivalent in ArcGIS Pro’s arcpy library.  It would be a class named something like arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(“…an_ArcGIS_Pro_project…”).listLayouts(“...layout_name…”)[0].mapSeries.  In other words, programmatically, at least when using Python, Desktop provides dataDrivenPages, but Pro does not provide a mapSeries.  The ArcGIS Pro functionality of Map Series appears to only be available interactively in a Pro session.  How come? What's an alternative?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mapping/arcgisproject-class

mapping/map-class

/mapping/layer-class

Is that the hierarchy you are looking for?

0 Kudos
JohnMcLaughlin4
New Contributor II

Mr. Patterson:

Thanx for your suggestion, but, no, ArcGIS Pro’s Python 3.4 library arcpy does not appear to have a counterpart (that I can find) to ArcGIS for Desktop’s Python 2.7.13 library arcpy’s class referenced by, say, arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(…my_ArcMap_project…).dataDrivenPages.

We know that Desktop has only one Layout and it may have only one Data Driven Page series established. For Pro, with its many potential Layouts, each one may have, equivalently, a Map Series. I have a daily Python app in Desktop that uses Data Driven Pages, but would like to re-create it in Pro for several reasons. Alas, I cannot find the counterpart class in Pro that will let me develop my counterpart Python app. My question to GeoNet was to learn if it just isn’t available yet in Pro’s arcpy, if it ever will be, or if anyone knows of a way to do, programmatically, Pro’s Map Series like one can do Desktop’s Data Driven Pages.

Thanx!

John D. McLaughlin, GISP

GIS Analyst

Sunrise Engineering, Inc.

11 North 300 West Street

Washington, Utah 84780

435-652-8450

jmclaughlin@sunrise-eng.com<mailto:jmclaughlin@sunrise-eng.com>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

John... the links I had were from ArcGIS PRO... this is the main arcpy for PRO link.. from there

The arcpy.mapping module has been removed and has been replaced with an arcpy.mp module in ArcGIS Pro to support mapping workflows in ArcGIS Pro.

Then buried within the help is ....

20045-import-data-driven-pages.

Data Driven Pages are not yet supported 

Data Driven Pages is not yet supported, so those settings and functionality were lost on import. The data frame used to create the pages import as a map frame with no extent constraints at the extent of the last save. Data Driven Pages dynamic text tags import but are empty and must be cleaned up manually.

0 Kudos
JohnMcLaughlin4
New Contributor II

Thank you!

0 Kudos