Help Out UC Newbies and Share Your UC Tips!

05-05-2017 05:39 PM
Labels (1)
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

It's almost that time of year. As we get ready for the User Conference, we want to help first-time attendees prepare, so we're looking for those who have been to UC before to offer tips, advice and share other helpful knowledge to help first-timers make the most out of their experience.

So, let us know... what should first-time attendees do to prepare and have a successful UC? What should they do during and after the event to maximize learning and networking? What strategies work for you? What do you wish you did differently at your first or last UC? 

Your tips will be shared here on GeoNet in the User Conference group, as well as in other pre-UC communications going out over the next couple months. Post your tips below and thanks for sharing and spreading the word! 

See what others have previously shared each year below.

Esri Community Strategist
88 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Chris,

For me it is super helpful to really study the schedule. You need to go into the conference with an idea of what talks you want to go to and find those types of talks in the schedule. The Esri website has a way of "starring" these talks so they end up in your "my conference" talks to make it easier for you. Sometimes the website is a little slow and clunky but be patient with it!

If you're randomly searching for a talk to go to, you will likely be disappointed. Oh, and get there early. They fill up - nearly all of them.

Editing to add my blog post:

/blogs/AdrianWelsh/2017/05/26/top-ten-things-a-five-year-old-would-do-at-the-esri-user-conference 

TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Here are some tips for the Esri UC:

• For lunch walk 10-15 minutes out from the convention center. This will help you avoid the crowds and find some really good "hole in the wall" restaurants. 
  • Buy your GIS themed t-shirts from the Esri Store as soon as they open on Monday. They will sell out fast.
  • Find out where the Esri and vendor sponsored socials are each night. This is a great place to network and get some really good food. Two of my top Esri UC social events are the YPN Social and the DevMeetup. Don't forget to bring a stack of business cards. Even if you are looking for job, this is a great way to get your name out there.
  • Go to the Map Gallery Opening and Evening Reception on Monday. You will see maps from some of the best cartographers and analysts in the industry. Plus there usually is some good food.
  • Take your kids to the Kids Fair. It is ideal for children ages 5-15 and is free and open to everyone. This gives them a chance to be hands-on with GIS. 

Check out my complete list: /blogs/GeoSocial/2017/05/10/10-tips-for-taking-on-the-esri-user-conference 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

This is a great list! I like the blog post too, very helpful.

JenniferBorlick
Occasional Contributor III

And if there is a restaurant near the convention center that isn't packed on Monday, there's a reason. Just keep walking. If you have a trolley pass, hop on board and get out of the area. There will plenty of days in which you can dine nearby later in the week.

First aid is your best friend. When you get blisters on your feet, they can hook you up.

ElizabethKelly1
New Contributor II

Wear comfortable walking shoes! The expo hall is overwhelming, watch for the freebies, and the wonderful little pins.  I wish the stuff you bought at the conference was for sale all year round.  I need goodies for my students.

Elizabeth

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Tip 1: Go to sessions, ask questions and visit us in the showcase! The thing I love most about UC is talking to customers, answering questions and  learning about their projects and what kind of problems they are solving with ArcGIS!

Tip 2: Charge and wear your FitBit (or other fitness trackers). This should be a record breaking week, and if it isn't tracked, the steps don't count

Tip 3: After a day of walking and exploring the conference, opt for a ride from a pedi-cab. Your legs deserve a break. (I suggest the brightest one with the loudest tunes) 

Tip 4: Find the secret taco truck, its a secret so the lines aren't crazy for delicious tacos.

Tip 5: After UC, reach out to the people you met and the contact cards you collected. UC is a great place to start relationships, but continuing the networking through the year, keeps the conference benefits going outside of San Diego!

DavidSemitekol3
New Contributor II

Take the time to plan out your week, not your day.  Meaning, have a theme for the day since anything that you plan is going to go long.  It might also help to break it up into two parts: before lunch and after.

Make sure you watch all or part of the Plenary.  It is one of the most amazing and breathtaking sights you will see.

If your pass allows, DO NOT MISS the Thursday Night Party at Balboa.  It is guaranteed to be one of the best experiences you can imagine.

Google Maps is your friend for dining options.  The town is extremely friendly and all the restaurants will be happy to have you.  Most everything is within walking distance of the conference and your hotel and your price range is, whatever it might be.

Take a minute to say hello to the Student Assistants that work the event.  They are your ESRI college students helping all week and they do a tremendous job.  I know from experience as an alumni to the program

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

1.  Echoing what others have said, before you get to the Conference have a tentative schedule figured out for each day. 

- Plan ahead.  Have at least two things to do each time slot.  Sometimes you get to one session and find it isn't what you expected, so if you are already organized this will give you a opportunity to quietly slip out and quickly get into another session.

- Be ready to be flexible.  You may discover during one session that there are other sessions coming up in topics you had not considered before and now want to attend.

- If you find you have a time slot where none of the Sessions/Presentations seems appealing, don't forget the Map Gallery and the Exhibit Hall.  In particular, check out the Demo Theaters in the ESRI section of the Exhibit Hall and the "hands-on" computers available with ESRI Staff on hand to answer your questions.  This is a great opportunity to get those questions answered for situations where you've always wondered "why doesn't this work" or "I wonder if that can be done with GIS".

2.  The official lunch break can lead to quite a crowded lunch situation near the Convention Center.  Consider instead taking the early afternoon session off and going to lunch then on some days to avoid the lunch crush.  In particular, consider taking this break on Wednesday and/or Thursday, as by then one usually is in GIS saturation mode.

3.  Wear comfortable shoes, as you will be walking alot.

Chris Donohue, GISP

MaryRozmajzl
New Contributor

Go to the Welcome and Orientation for first time attendees.  The information is VERY HELPFUL.

Have a 'back up' class selected in case the one you want is full or not what you expected.

We found the conference lunches enjoyable and they have a good variety of food.  It IS crowded but you can network and see the exhibits too.