Python Addins fro ArcGIS Online

05-04-2017 03:55 PM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III

Hey folks, my organization has recently obtained subscriptions to ArcGIS Online. My first idea is to build an app with a map and a tool.

Abstract: I have inspectors who work in the field and use iPads for their jobs. About a year ago, I had built a python addin in ArcMap that does some reporting for them, so they are able to use ArcMap to run the addin. Basically, the addin allows them to select a layer from a drop down and then they press a button to initialize the mouse cursor which allows them to draw a rectangle within ArcMap that selects some polygons and provides a report in the form of a spreadsheet.

I got to thinking that I could do that in ArcGIS Online via a webapp. Now, I'm sure it's not as easy as porting my python addin into a webapp directly, but I really don't even know where to start beyond using the App Creation wizard in AGOL to create the app with a map. So I guess if I am asking a question here, firstly, does a tool in a webapp as I described sound doable? If so, can anyone give me a general sense on how or where to start? Can I use my python addin code in the webapp via  ArcGIS API for Python or some other method? Or is it more of a javascript/CSS/HTML type of thing, all of which I have very little experience with. Any help or guidance would be great.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'll try to answer a few of your questions...in a different order than asked:

Can I use my python addin code in the webapp via  ArcGIS API for Python or some other method?

Short answer - no, not as is, at least not that I have found.  Longer Answer: if you have ArcGIS Server, you may be able to publish some of the .py scripts as geoprocessing services.  And I agree, the ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers  has a lot of potential for many things (I am new to it myself)

can anyone give me a general sense on how or where to start?

There are many options for getting apps for field users....ArcGIS Online or Portal, the many apps that are associated, or with some of the web-browser based options, either by writing your own (e.g. JavaScript API) or customizing one of the Apps.  What you choose has as much to do with the skill sets you have available, or can learn, or if you want an out of the box option.

I would start by looking at a few of the web pages to see some of the options

Some of the apps in the first bullet above already have apps on andoid/iOS/windows devices and you just need to configure the map. If like us, you don't always have internet or cell access, apps like Collector can be setup to work offline, but there may be some dependencies on an enterprise SDE (i.e basically licensed thru ArcGIS Server, although any cost/licensing questions should be directed to your customer rep or local distributor)

a javascript/CSS/HTML type of thing,

Check out the Javascript API in the ArcGIS for Developers page, or look at using Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers which does have some dependency on ArcGIS Online or Portal, but is customizable out of the box, with user-created widgets, or by writing your own.  I have a blog that ight be a good starting point for that /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...

I really don't even know where to start beyond using the App Creation wizard in AGOL

Besides all the info above, don't forget that most of the tech session videos from the UC and Dev Summit (and others) are posted and are a good resource -- just search on a topic.  These may give you an idea of things you want to investigate or cross off you list right away.   Esri Videos | E360 Videos: GIS, Events, ArcGIS Products & Industries 

does a tool in a webapp as I described sound doable?

Everything is doable...somethings are just easier than others.

Edit...adding link for https://community.esri.com/groups/arcgis-python-api/blog/2017/04/08/learning-resources-for-arcgis-ap...