Copying Features to another layer; only one target is available, why?

05-04-2017 12:53 PM
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Trying to copy selected features from one layer and paste into another layer.  When doing this, i follow the proper steps: 1. go in edit mode of item trying to copy. 2. select features i wish to copy. 3. click the copy button. 4. click the paste button.  At this point the only layer i am able to copy to is the same layer that i'm in.  I have many more layers available with my map, why am i unable to select a different layer.  My coordinate zones match and there is no errors occurring.  see attached...

trying to add some data that i exported as a .shp from Civil 3d and add it to my water main layer in arc-map.  this is the only layer that is available and that is the layer i brought it in on from civil 3d, i need to copy to my Water Mains layer.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Arcmap 10.3

0 Kudos
17 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jon,

Are you using all layers as shapefiles? In case you are using shapefiles are the shapefiles residing in the same editing workspace?

Have you enabled "Make only selectable layer" option?

Regards,

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

The file that i'm trying to copy over is a shape file.  The layer I'm copying to is a geodatabase.  Not sure if they are in the same editing work space, i believe yes.  I'm pretty new to this stuff.  I'm trying to just streamline importing as-built data.  We currently bring in a .dwg and trace over the line work.  I  thought creating a shape-file from that line work, bringing it into arc map and copying it to the correct layer would be a lot faster... that is if i could figure out how to copy it over.

I tried it both ways, with that as the only selectable layer and not.  Going from Water 2 (at top) trying to copy to Water Mains (the red one)

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Have you tried just appending your new data into the geodatabase Fc?

Append—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

JonSymoniak
New Contributor

I just attempted doing that and it does not copy, everything looks like it went through with no errors, the lines do not copy over though.  I'm probably just misunderstanding something.  I created a test for myself with two shapefiles water and sewer from CAD and it worked fine.  I had hopes it would work in it's actual environment as well but I'm starting to think it will not work.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Jon,

If you are using a shapefile as your source file and a feature class as your target it definitely is not the same workspace. From what I understand, you are creating this source shapefile from a .dwg file and are attempting to bring in the data into your target feature class.

Assuming what I have mentioned is correct, I would request you to confirm if both the source and target have same field name and data types and same geometry and projection system. If they are the same, you can simply use the load option from the context menu of the feature class to add the data from the shapefile to your feature class without even opening ArcMap.

I am sharing few help links which should help you out:

Loading data in the Catalog tree—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

In case this is not what you are trying please let me know.

Regards,

~Shan

~Shan
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Thanks, that was helpful to know, but the Load Data is grayed out and i am unable to do that.  Essentially you are correct on what my overall goal is. Geometry is the same, not sure about field name and data type... again, I just started using this software so bear with me.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Jon,

Don't worry mate we all have been at this stage at some point of life.

You mentioned that you are not able to get the load option on the feature class. Can you kindly confirm what is the extension of the geodatabase? Is it .mdb .gdb or .sde?

In case it's a .gdb or a .mdb check if the database is compressed. Also please confirm if the database is located on your machine locally or you are accessing it through a network drive.

Regards,

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
JonSymoniak
New Contributor

Yeah, I felt the same way with Civil 3D a few years ago and now I'm very good at it.  I suspect this will be the same path.

.sde and is a network drive

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

SQL or Oracle? Is it a versioned feature class?

I assume you are able to edit features in the feature class. 

Regards,

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos