Field Calc dead slow in 10.3; lightning fast in 10.2: what gives?

Jump to solution
05-03-2017 11:49 AM
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

When using the 'Field Calculator...' in the Attribute Table on selected records in 10.3, the calculations (even simple ones like setting an integer field = 1) are excruciatingly slow.  When using the 'Field Calculator...' on selected records in 10.2, the calculations are blisteringly fast. See the attached image. The split screen shows the identical calculation performed on a selected set of simple lines. In 10.2, the calculation took 0.23 seconds. In 10.3, the exact same calculation on the exact same number of selected lines took 20.13 seconds. Why?10.3 selected records field calc fail

I have been over all of the settings, environment variables, everything I can think of but there are no differences between the settings that I can see. Have I missed something? (Besides my marbles, I mean...)

TIA,

Brian

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...and if a different user doesn't have an issue on the same machine, try renaming the normal file and other tricks https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=6d54ce19-8f1a-40da-aa7f-91908f399648&sea...

At least that can help you rule out a few things.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi BlueInc,

It could be a network issue.  Try copying the data to the local machine and try the field calculator.  What are the results?

0 Kudos
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

We work on the BC Government shared environment so the data is indeed networked, as are the various ArcMap versions. That said, I am/was able to copy and run the data from the C:\temp directory of the server with ArcMap10.3.1 running on it. The difference in the results were negligible: 19.39 seconds for the same calculation. Thanks for the response though 🙂

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using the Field Calculator command (via a right click) or the Calculate Field GP tool?  I've read the GP tool is faster.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmmm...strange.  Here are a couple things to try first:

• Compact the file geodatabase using the Compact GP tool.
  • Install the 64-bit background geoprocessing from MyEsri.
  • Upgrade geodatabase to 10.3 schema via a right-click in the Catalog window.
  • Build an attribute index on the fields to be calculated if appropriate.

Any additional information you may have to help me troubleshoot this would be great.

0 Kudos
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

Hi,

• I ran the compact from ArcCatalog but there was little difference in the calc time 17.45 seconds (actually, I think this is one of the things I had tried previously...)
  • We're on  a government network and none of us can install apps so installing the background geoprocessing from MyEsri is kindof out.
  • Upgrading the GDB is greyed out in Catalog because the GDB is already at the correct version.
  • Adding an index on the ID field had negligible effect 17.3 seconds)
0 Kudos
blueincspatial
New Contributor II

p.s. I will be conferring with colleagues in the morning as apparently some of them do not have any trouble with Field Calculator in 10.3 while at least one other person besides me does. I will see if I can get the successful Calculators to take a poke at this test data. More to come...

Thanks for the feedback.

B

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Hi BlueInc,

Have you tried performing field calculation by logging with a different user profile from your machine? I am suggesting this since you have mentioned that your colleagues aren't facing this issue. It may be a machine specific or a profile specific issue.

Regards,

Shan

~Shan
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...and if a different user doesn't have an issue on the same machine, try renaming the normal file and other tricks https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=6d54ce19-8f1a-40da-aa7f-91908f399648&sea...

At least that can help you rule out a few things.

blueincspatial
New Contributor II

Thanks. I'll try this right away...

0 Kudos