Data loss from repeats

05-02-2017 09:36 PM
PatrickKleeman
New Contributor III

We've had some instances of unexplained data loss from repeat sections of two different forms.  We're running Survey123 on iPhone 5c, and are usually in airplane mode while in the field to extend battery life.  The data losses have occurred while we are entering repeat records every few to several minutes apart, sometimes turning off the iPhone screen to save battery life, sometimes it goes to sleep on its own.  For example, the other day we were entering weights and measures of newts in our Apex form.  We had entered 11 repeat records and went into Survey123 to enter another repeat and only the first 7 records were there.

Apex 12 form with repeat

It has also happened with the repeats of another form (see below).  

Bsal swabbing form repeat section

It doesn't seem to be gross user error, and I can't figure out what in the forms' structures would cause this to happen infrequently.  Any helpful advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Patrick

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Can you define more clearly where the data is being lost? Is the application crashing or the data not appearing in the feature service? Do the repeats show when you review the form in the Sent box?  

0 Kudos
PatrickKleeman
New Contributor III

Hi James,

The data is being lost before we have a chance to send the survey (out in the field in airplane mode).  If we enter repeat data and Save as a Draft after each repeat record is entered, then it does not seem to occur, but that adds quite a few steps to data entry.  On the occasions that this has occurred, it appears the application has crashed -- the user wakes the phone from screen off mode and Survey123 has to be re-opened, and some of the most recently entered repeat records are completely missing.  Hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Thanks Patrick,

That helps refine the issue somewhat.  We have an enhancement for continuous saving of the current survey to the Draft folder that should address this issue.

0 Kudos
PatrickKleeman
New Contributor III

That's great news.  Is the enhancement in 2.0 release (I just upgraded), or in an upcoming release?

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

It will be a future release.  While this is coming in as a fairly high priority, we haven't targeted for a specific release yet.

0 Kudos
PatrickKleeman
New Contributor III

Sounds good.  I appreciate you and the team's efforts to continuously improve this useful app!

0 Kudos
PatrickKleeman
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Has continuous saving been implemented to solve this data loss problem with repeats?

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Patrick,

We are working on continuous saving as part of the next (2.4) release.  An early beta implementation is available via the Early Adopter Community; we will be posting an updated beta soon.

0 Kudos
PatrickKleeman
New Contributor III

Thanks for the update.  I look forward to the 2.4 release so that I can dependably use those forms.

Best,

Patrick

0 Kudos