Constraint Column Question

05-02-2017 06:50 AM
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this but I can't seem to find it. I am trying to constrain an integer field to a specific length. I however don't understand how to make this happen from the popup on the xls sheet in the constraint column. I need to have one field that is exactly 19 numbers long and another that is 15. I am guessing it has to do with a layout that I am unfamiliar with or don't quite understand yet.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

The Input Mask feature could get the text formatted correctly: Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

James, thanks for the response. I have tried this and I still can't seem to make it work. I have tried it a couple of different ways but after I save it doesn't seem to constrain the way I need it to. Am I missing something or doing something incorrectly? I have tried both with and without the ;- at the end. I had to convert the fields with the long numbers to text as they won't take long numbers any other way.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

It works for me- see the attached sample.  As you said, make sure the question is text and I placed a ' before the input mask in Excel to make sure it was read as text (e.g., '999999999999999)

0 Kudos
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

James, I am still not seeing this change taking effect. When I update the sheet I should see the limit take effect in the Form Preview correct? Also the line I have marked to make everything caps is not working. I may have to delete each line and then reinsert and code it from scratch?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi James,

On relooking at your image, you've placed the input masks in the field length column - move them over to the input mask column.  Field length is used to specify how many characters a text field can hold (as a number).

0 Kudos
JamesDickens1
New Contributor III

Yep that was it! Thanks for sticking with me on this

0 Kudos