Anyone getting random General Function Failure error's with Windows 10 and ArcMap 10.4.1?

05-01-2017 12:13 PM
JeffJones7
New Contributor II

Our company recently upgraded to new Windows 10 desktops. At the same time we upgraded from ArcMap 10.2 to ArcMap 10.4. I am now regularly getting random "General Function Failure" error's while using ArcMap. It typically happens when I am simply navigating the map, panning and zooming around and selecting features and working with the Table data. I am mostly working with existing MXD's that I started working with while I was using 10.2. [Edit]I believe they have all not been updated to 10.4 MXD's.I believe all MXD's started as 10.2 MXD's and have all now been saved in 10.4. I have tried starting an MXD from scratch in 10.4 and seem to be having the same issue, maybe just a little less often. [/Edit]

Anyone have this experience? Or and suggestions on what is going on or how best to approach troubleshooting?

40 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How about saving the MXDs soon after opening them? Just click save button.Does the issue persist then?

Think Location
JeffJones7
New Contributor II

Yes, I have tried saving the MXD and have continued to receive the errors after saving.

I am going to try re-builing the MXD from scratch, maybe that will help.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you also upgrade your License Manager to 10.4 as well?  Sometimes LM's kept at 10.2 cause "General Function Failure" messages.  Also, one other thing to check - do any of your feature classes/shapefiles start with a number?  This will also cause GFF errors.

JeffJones7
New Contributor II

I checked and our license server was updated to 10.4, and as far as I can tell I do not have any feature classes/shapefiles that start with a number. I was not aware the number thing was an issue, I will have to keep an eye out for that in the future.

0 Kudos
ManviLather1
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

--Are you working With SQL server enterprise geodatabase?

--How the database connection is created to the geodatabase? Direct connection or 3 -tier connection?

--Is there any raster data in the geodatabase?

Please have a look at the below links:

Bug BUG-000096145
http://support.esri.com/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA5NjE0NQ==

Bug BUG-000095750
http://support.esri.com/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA5NTc1MA==

JeffJones7
New Contributor II

No, not working with any type of server based data, everything is in a FileGDB, a Shapefile, or Raster files located outside of a GDB.

I have seen a few other people mentioning issues with raster data. I may try removing all raster data and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
CarineStolz1
New Contributor II

Dear Jeff,

Are-you still having the same problem ? 

Thanks,

Carine

0 Kudos
CarineStolz1
New Contributor II

Hello Jeff,

I am encountering the same problem : random "General Function Failure" error's while using ArcMap Standard. I upgraded from arcmap 10.0 to 10.4.1. Users have opened there last mxd containing simple gdb (10.0). They saved it in 10.4.1 and still encounter the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions too,

Carine

0 Kudos