Is there a way to select an item, and then create a related record?

04-17-2017 10:35 AM
JoshSaad1
Occasional Contributor II

Following the instructions here, I've created maps to be used with Collector that use related tables to keep inspection reports.  This is done by using a relationship class referencing each objects' GUIDs.  

It's very easy with collector to select a feature, and then create new inspection reports from the related table.  Is there a way to do this in either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Josh, 

I'm also interested in this question - my experience so far is no, but would be keen hear whether or not this is actually the case!

With features (origin) related to a standalone table (destination) hosted on AGOL I've been able to create/update/remove related records only using the Collector App.  In an AGOL web map I can edit related records, but not create new ones.  

When using ArcGIS Pro with the same data, I can view and edit exiting related records, but when I try to add a new one it just crashes (v1.4). 

When using ArcMap (v10.5), I can only view the related records.  When I Create a Local Copy for Editing I can still view the related records using Identify (and indeed can see that a local copy of the standalone table has been made, with all records, not just for the sub-set of features in the local copy).  However, when I start editing this local copy there is no way to access the related records via Editor Toolbar>Attributes as I normally would.  If I manually go to a related record and change it, when I Synchronize Local Edits with Server, the edits to the standalone table are lost.

Andy.

0 Kudos
AndyFairbairn
Occasional Contributor

Ok, tried some more testing, this time with something much simpler than my original data.  Now I can add related records using Pro without it crashing (Edit tab > Select (and select a feature), Edit tab>Attributes, In Attributes expand the feature record to see the relationship ('forward' name, in my case Inspections), right click and Add New to Relationship).

In Arcmap, I still can't edit related records in the normal way, but by going to a row in the destination table and editing it, the edit does now get synced to the server.  Still can't see a way to add related records, as when I start editing the local copy the relationship doesn't show up in the attributes window.

I'm not sure why my simple test works, but my previous more complicated version didn't.  With the simple test, everything was set up in Pro (1.4) before uploading the AGOL, whereas with the previous set was a FGDB created in AGOL from feature service, downloaded, modified using ArcMap (10.5), before sending back up to AGOL.  Originally it would have been from a FGDB created in ArcMap 10.2.2 or 10.4.  So that might be it.  Also, in the more complicated version, my related data (inspections) was related to more than one feature class, so perhaps that is also an issue.

Andy.