Network Activity Status Indicator Spinning Indefinitely

01-04-2011 03:21 AM
ClintCabanero
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

All of my iOS projects that use the ArcGIS for iOS API as the map control, seem to show the iPhone's network activity status indicator (e.g. the 'Spinning icon right of the signal bars) as spinning indefinitely.  Even if I pan to an area on the map, stop panning, and let the app sit there for 10 minutes or more, the network activity indicator never stops spinning.

Is there a way to stop this?  My latest test project is a single UIViewController where I've added one map service layer.  So I know the app really isn't doing anything besides rendering the map service.

Thanks for any insight.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KOLDODUARTE
New Contributor
Hi guys,

In my projects I have the same problem, so I subscribe me to this thread.
0 Kudos
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you seeing this on both the simulator and a device? The reason I ask is that I have seen this from time to time, but only on the simulator. My guess is that the simulator may be losing track of what requests are outstanding, but if you see it on a device too then it could be something else.

Also, you mentioned that you see this problem with the stock ArcGIS samples/templates. Is that correct? Can you ensure you don't have any extra calls in your application to show the activity indicator?

You may already be aware of this, but in beta versions of the API, developers had to manage the network activity indicator when kicking off tasks. However, at the final 1.0 version, the tasks manage the indicator for you. Be sure to remove the network indicator related parts when migrating older code.
0 Kudos
KOLDODUARTE
New Contributor
Finally, I put in a "app.plist" file a new key: "Status bar is initially hidden" and in a MapView I put a new object with the class: UIActivityIndicatorView. I visible it when the user get to identify on the map and hidden it when in delegate method... I think that It´s very simple!
0 Kudos