Hyperlinking to excel file on GIS Online

04-17-2017 04:47 PM
NicholasTorrance
New Contributor

Is there a way to create a hyperlink from GIS Online to an excel file. I am trying to create a link from an interactive map to excel files I have associated with each point on my map.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are the Excel files on your computer or are they stored somewhere online (i.e google drive)?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Nicholas,

There are a few different ways to accomplish this, depending on where your excel file is located and how it needs to be referenced by your data. If you have the same excel document for all, then you can add the link during the pop up configuration process. If you have a different excel document for each feature, you are going to want to add a string field to your data set and add the url to your excel document as a field. If you include the url field in a pop up it will be automatically hyperlinked. 

If the link is accessible on the internet, then adding the url using the above mentioned workflow is straight forward. If you have a document locally, then you will need to add your file to a local web server as described in this post https://community.esri.com/message/489020?sr=search&searchId=346230c2-a246-4c42-9415-6dfa4bd58175&se...‌. Remember that if your file is local only users on your network who have access to the document will be able to access it.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JenniferCarter1
New Contributor II

Kelly,

I have an Excel spread sheet that has embedded URL's field called cameras, located here.  https://phenocam.sr.unh.edu/webcam/network/table/PHENOCAM 

When I convert to a CSV file it losses the hyperlink.  Also when I upload the Excel in Pro the hyperlinks are not embedded any longer. Any solutions?

Thanks, 

JC

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

This appears to be an html table and not an excel table. Is there a download option? How are you importing the specific data? If this could be downloaded as Excel, the hyperlinks should remain. What do the html links look like in the csv file? Are you able to upload the specific csv or excel file?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JenniferCarter1
New Contributor II

I downloaded it and it is a PDF which I saved as an Excel sheet. When I save it as a CVS file the hyperlinks are lost.

0 Kudos